StorageSmart2
Cool Member

Creating a backyard pond from scratch.

A friend of mine in Winnipeg, Manitoba has a relatively large indentation in her backyard about the diameter of a four seater dining room table and maybe a foot deep in the middle. She says it was caused by a build up of water in her backyard during their rainy season, because they don't have any sod or grass put in yet and everything was just gravel. Now she's wondering how to fill it and I was thinking, "Do you have to fill it?"

What I'm wondering is, because it's only about 2-3 feet away from the back of her house, would it be dangerous to turn this into a backyard pond? I don't want to suggest anything that's going to end up endangering her foundation, but I think her children would enjoy having it back there.

I don't know a lot about backyard ponds, so I thought I would ask you guys, because I've been reading the posts here and y'all seem to know what you're doing. :)

What do you think?

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

1 foot isn't very deep for a pond, but you can definately do it.

kittykat_ll
Newly Registered

You wouldn't be able to keep any fish in it, or any water lillies. Or if she wanted to she could dig a couple of more feet down then she would be able to have more options.
Good Luck

Return to “Water Gardening”