pondlady

Lotus

Anyone have Lotus? I just got some for the first time this year. They are all tucked in for winter right now. Cross my fingers that they will come through. Do you save seeds from your plants? If so I would like to try my hand at starting some from seed. :roll: I would pay shipping or trade for other seeds or plants come spring water plants or Garden plants. Let me know. Any advice on growing them would be great! Thanks. G :idea:)

applestar
Mod

Bought some seeds (Russian, cold hardy variety) and am planning to grow them this winter. Tossing a couple in the pond, au naturel, others will be carefully grown inside. :wink:

pondlady

Before you toss nick them till you see a tiny bit of white if you don"t they will not sprout!! water has to get INSIDE the shell !! FYI :idea:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Thanks pondlady! I tried the thing about just tossing some seeds in the pond and nothing happened. Now I know why; I didn't know about nicking the seeds.

pondlady

No a problem, I can sprout them and get them to there first floating leaf stage then the buggers just stop and die!!! Dang frustrating. I am determined to figure out the problem. I use a dremel tool with a cutting blade and a pair of pliers, cut along the side top to bottom just deep enough to see white { not into the white} then soak them in clean warm water. Keep it clean by changing it every few days, do not let it get cloudy. Should see sprouts in about 3 to 7 days.

applestar
Mod

Thanks for the tip! I'll let you know when I get my act together to trying it. I don't want to start too early and have to deal with a big plant. How long does it take to sprout and grow?

pondlady

Sprouting is pretty Quick if the water has got inside. They grow really fast till the aerial leaf stage then they slow down quite a bit. Be patent, feed them and let them grow. They will not bloom the first year, no more the 4" of water over the tubers, water need to be warm 70*+. Hope this helps!

Return to “Water Gardening”