Greywoulf
Newly Registered

Newbie needs some reassurance..?

Hi
Glad to be here...
Even tho I've kept a Fig Ginseng Bonsai alive and growing for 6 or 7 years, I'm still a newbie when it comes to Bonsai gardening. T'was a gift from a friend and came in a very small root-bound pot; I've kept it under a fluorescent lamp on my desk and it's gotten a little leggy but is still thriving.
But now I'd like to repot it into a tray and make a little garden for it, with rocks and moss sheet. I saw a video on how to do this but it scared me a bit... The video showed a Bonsai gardener removing most of the dirt around the Ficus's root, raking out the roots, and then cutting them back a quarter of their length. Is this what I need to do also? I don't want to kill the plant... And if I do need to do this, should the plant be watered first or left a bit dry?
Thanks...

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Potted trees have to be root pruned every few years or they will die. I would attempt it during a low growth or dormant period. Watering first seems like a good idea but may make the process more difficult. Ideally the soil will just crumble away from the roots to be trimmed. I have never grown small bonsai but have kept Japanese maples and other trees or vines growing in pots for ten years or longer. I finally got tired of the maintenance and planted most of ours in the ground.

imafan26
Mod

bonsai are typically pot bound on purpose to control their size. The bonsai should not be "leggy". Usually, it is regularly pruned and fed to maintain its' form. It is not planted in regular potting soil. The media for bonsai is usually akadama, but other kinds of media can be used. Species you would typically bonsai are long lived, have flexible branches, and are able to tolerate root pruning. Ficus is a good beginner plant. As long as you don't change its' light, it tolerates root pruning well. You do have to follow certain principles if you trim the roots, you have to do topwork as well and you have to know how much you can take off. It is always better to do less because you can always cut more, but you can't put back what has already been cut off.
This link has some beginner tutorials. If there is a bonsai club near you, you can always attend a meeting and get a consultation or join the club.
https://www.bonsaiempire.com/basics

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”