BonsaiTreeLover
Newly Registered

Advice on leaves curling trees

IMG_20201012_171102.jpg
IMG_20201014_161954.jpg
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and a novice bonsai owner. I'd liek to ask for what might be causing the leaves on my bonsai trees to curl up or fall off. I've tried to add as much information as possible.

They both look like ficus retusa and I got them the start of August after they had been in lockdown too, stored in cramped conditions. They came with red spider mites which I have been misting under the leaves everyday for.

They have been seperate from each other and my other plants and I think it's just one that has mites now (I haven't seen a Web for over two weeks).

The one in the circular pot (which doesn't drain well) is the one that has the odd web and the leaves look curvy and wilted.

The one in the rectangular pot has a lot of moss and dicots that keeps on coming back at the bottom. It has a leaf that looks curling from the base of the stem in a circular fashion and one next to it with a dark line. I've noticed some lighter yellow leaves and one with a brown tip.

They both get filtered water at room temp. I water them every 3-4 days (when the soil is dry on the top) but the one in circular pot rarely fully dries out. I am needing to water them less frequently now it's getting cold (I live in the UK).

They are on North / North East windowsills that get the most light in the flat however I get little sun as I'm surrounded by tall buildings). The windows they sit on can get very drafty so I have been moving them on cold nights. I would like them to have a permanent home once they are healthy!

They were last trimmed, cleaned, polished and fertilised last in early September (a month after I got them to give time to settle). I haven't done anything to them since as I don't want to stress them out and am not sure what will be helpful.

Could is them going into dormancy, the mites or something else? Would it be a good idea to repot or resoil them or leave them?

It is my first winter with them and I would really appreciate any guidance. Thank you in advance!
Attachments
IMG_20201012_165658.jpg
IMG_20201012_171411.jpg
IMG_20201012_171400.jpg
IMG_20201012_171156.jpg
IMG_20201014_161954.jpg
IMG_20201012_165634.jpg
IMG_20201012_170316.jpg
IMG_20201012_170252.jpg
IMG_20201014_161954.jpg
IMG_20201014_162031.jpg

TreesEasey
Newly Registered

Curling or distorted leaves are signs of conditions that are interfering with smooth, continuous growth. Think of leaves like balloons slowly inflating. Leaves get larger by cells dividing, and/or enlarging and growing outward from the base of the leaf. There are at least 3 layers of cells: upper surface, lower surface, and inner layer. All 3 layers grow in unison, unless something interferes. Drastic light level changes, or too wet or too dry while the leaf is unfolding can cause the different levels to grow at different rates than normal. Bug bites (like Spider Mite) or mechanical damage can interfere, but is usually very evident with dead spot in the middle of the leaf's distorted area. One dead cell in the middle of a leaf will distort the leaf. If there is no cell damage then the slower levels of the leaf will catch up and the leaf will end growth looking as it should.

Almost all leaves start growth as a needle-like (shape) that emerge from a bud that has one or several leaves folded about a central stem and the individual leafs unwind into the ~straight~, fat needle that extends in length faster than the diameter thickens. The leaf is rolled-up about the tip of the petiole and begins to open up as it grows longer. Generally, the upper & lower leaf surfaces are one cell thick and the interior layer is more than 2 cells thick. The different cells are different sizes. The leaf opens up (to flatten) as it grows larger/longer as a function of the cells being added at different rates. The leading edges of the upper & lower surfaces are where new growth occurs and they grow longer/wider, extending the edges and is damaged (gets crispy) if there too much water in the system. Sometimes a drop of water will collect at the tip because of too much water. That growing tip should always look pristine.

Plants like Sansevieria trifasciata (until 2017 when it was reclassified as Dracaena trifasciata) which grow continuously, year upon year, from the tip (after a long rest period) need to have undamaged tips which are that tiny, needle like curving point at the end of the leaf, or else. If it goes crispy because of too much water then it stops growing and growth is redirected into a new leaf. If you have a group that you want to grow many feet tall, don't overwater. Modest water twice a month is often perfect. :wink:

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”