Travellar

Window vs lamp grown

I've got a number of silver maples I'm learning with. One on my desk at work, and four in pots in the window at home. (I also have a baby-boy, who loves to pull things out of pots to look at them, so outside isn't a working plan right now)

My desk trees (this years and the two I managed to kill last year) do pretty well. Apial dominance is a double issue, as the top leaves recieve exponentially more light, but I've finally learned the right way to prune around that.

In contrast, my window trees have grown very little, due to limited hours of sunlight. Further, the biggest of them is performing a rather awkward impersonation of a sunflower, pointing all its leaves to the east window. Further agrivating the problem is the window trees are much more easily forgotten about for a couple of days, and don't nessecarily get watered often enough.

My assesment: a lamp hanging over the trees on a 16/8 hour timer is achieving superior results to the window.

imafan26
Mod

Direct light is always better than indirect light. Unless you turn your plant regularly, plants will always curve towards the light. It is called etiolation. The side that does not get enough light elongates trying to get more light. Most trees are happier outside than inside when the weather is good. If you have problems remember watering or turning indoor plants it is best to put them on a schedule for turning like M-W-F after breakfast or at a specific time like 8 a.m. Watering depends on when the plants needs water but you can get help with that by putting a wick in the plant and the wick in a reservoir. You only have to fill the reservoir when it gets low and the soil will draw the water when it needs it. It is better to set aside a day like Sunday after dinner so that you wash out the reservoir with the dinner dishes (some can be put in the dishwasher). Regularly cleaning the reservoir keeps algae down and bugs out of the water.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”