Giorgi
Newly Registered

Caring for dying pinus pinea (Italian stone pine)

Hello,

I need you help guys, I have planted seed of pinus pinea and now it is 1 month old. I kept it indoor for 1 week - sunny window. and then put it outdoor garden under the full sunlight (8-9 hours of sunlight). i was watering it after 2-3 days. and then I noticed that needles become brown and getting more and more brown after few days. yesterday was quite hot and I watered it and in the evening I noticed that needles become even more brown and started to fall down.
can you please advice how to save it. I want to save it very much. Please help me. Shall I water is less often? or full sunlight burnt it? I guess one of it effected really bad. or is it better to put it in just sunny window?

many thanks in advance
Giorgi

applestar
Mod

Re: Caring for dying pinus pinea (Italian stone pine)

I think it’s the full/direct sun. When you think about it, baby trees are almost always growing in the shade — under the parent tree, under other, surrounded by bigger plants.

I don’t know if it can be saved ...I’ve often read that once conifers needles turn brown and start to fall, that’s it. But it wouldn’t hurt to move it to a dappled shade under a tree or morning sun location.

Another issue is I have heard that conifer seedlings need to be grown in soil inoculated with symbiotic mycos. Normally found under the parent tree. The way I heard it, they sprout but decline without it.

... how big container is the seedling growing in? All day sun would tend to dry out container soil. I would think you might need to water every day or even twice a day when hot. Are you feeling the soil to test for moisture levels? Are you using heft method? — feeling weight
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”