pallavimohnot
Newly Registered

ficus ginseng lost all its leaves

I have ficus giseng which I bought last year. the tree seem o have some problem since I brought it home I have no clue what I am doing wrong with it. I am attaching bellow the pictures to show where I have kept it and what is its current condition. can somebody please help me I don't want it to die.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2018-04-20 at 12.18.09.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-04-20 at 12.18.09 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-04-20 at 12.18.08.jpeg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Was it growing ok for a while at your house and then just recently lost its leaves? Or has it been bare like that for a while? If the latter, is it still alive? You can check to see if it is alive by bending a branch tip see if it is still flexible. Break a little bit and see if it is green inside. If the branch tip is not flexible and green, lightly scratch/scrape the trunk. It should be green and moist underneath the bark. If it is dry and brown, your tree has died.

If it only recently dropped the leaves, it can probably still be saved. Ficus do have a habit of dropping their leaves when conditions (especially light) are not to their liking and they can grow them back. I would guess the light is the problem (or at least part of it). Your tree needs to be in front of a window, best would be a good south facing window, where the light is coming in for a lot of the day.

Your moisture meter is telling you the soil is too wet. It looks like heavy, moisture holding soil, which is not best. I take it the pot it is in has no drainage holes (otherwise the pot would be leaking water all over your table when you water)? It is nearly impossible to keep plants alive in pots with no drainage. The soil can be only damp at the top and the bottom will be muddy stagnant water. Is there an inside pot, inside the one we see?

There is a lot of good information here about bonsai. Here's one thread with bonsai tips: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1479 It talks about how to water, which is one of the first things you need to learn. You need to be letting your soil dry out a bit between waterings.

What are the straws for?

pallavimohnot
Newly Registered

Hey
Yes it has grown for a while and then lost all its leaves it still has 2-3 leaves,and it is green from inside. Yes the pot has no holes. I will change the pot. and will keep it near the window thank u the suggestion. will update you if it becomes fine

pallavimohnot
Newly Registered

no progress in the plant yet ... after all things done it is still alive but no leaves what did I do wrong now ?

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”