Csabi2000
Newly Registered

Help me pls my bonsai is falling leaf

Help me pls my bonsai is falling leaf.
Someone can tell me pls what is the tree name and how to care ?
Leaf start to get yellow and fall . Not just yelow leaf falling small green leaf to :(

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

At a guess it is one of the many varieties of ficus, but that is just a guess.

How long have you had it? When did it start dropping leaves? It looks like it is indoors; is that where it stays all the time? What kind of light does it get.

If it is ficus, they are famous for dropping leaves, when conditions, especially lighting, are not to their liking. The good news of that is since they readily drop leaves, they also readily re-grow them.

Offhand without more information, I think it probably is staying too wet, too much of the time and not getting enough light. It is not in good bonsai soil. Good bonsai soil is very mineral, gritty, free draining, doesn't hold on to water very long. Your soil looks heavy and peat based and wet. How much/ how often do you water?

Indoor trees usually need supplemental lighting, which is a dedicated lamp, just a few inches away, on for 16 hrs a day:

Csabi2000
Newly Registered

Hello
I got it 3 weeks ago but about a week ago it started to lose leafs, I spray it daily with water, I spray the leafs, should I spray the soil to and it is 2m from the window but it don't get direct light. What kind of soil would be be the best for it ?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Spraying the leaves is for humidity; it isn't watering. The soil also needs to be watered, occasionally, when it dries out some. Your peat based soil won't need watering often, but the roots are in the soil and they are mainly how the plant gets water.

Here's a thread with lots of basic bonsai growing information, including how to water: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=1479

Here's an article with a lot of information about bonsai soil
https://bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_Soils.html

Right now you don't want to change the soil. Just figure out how to keep your tree alive. In the spring, repot into good bonsai soil (if you don't have a reputable bonsai store or club near you, you should be able to order some on-line).

It is a living tree!! It needs what trees need - lots of light, water around the roots, nutrients (once you repot, you will need to start fertilizing regularly). It isn't getting nearly enough light where it is. Either move it on a windowsill or give it supplemental lighting as I showed before.

In the meantime, if you are serious about wanting bonsai as a hobby, use the winter while the tree is mainly resting to read a LOT more about bonsai. Don't worry too much about the art of shaping trees, etc just yet. Just focus on how to maintain a living tree in good health in a tiny pot.

Csabi2000
Newly Registered

Thx the help.
I spray the soil, and sometimes the leaf.
And I keep the soil moist.
Can you tell me what supplemental lighting can I ise and where can I buy it?
Ikea ebay or amazon. That is the mot lightest spot in my room. Not in winter :/
But spring and summer is mor lighter

imafan26
Mod

It is not getting enough light so it is dropping leaves. Ficus don't like drastic changes in light. Find a permanent place for it with good light and leave it there. It will drop all of its leaves but will grow new ones. As for watering, Rainbow is correct misting is not watering. Take the plant to the sink filled with water above the rim of the plant and keep it there until the bubbling stops, then let it drain on a counter before putting it back in place. Do not water the plant and leave water in the saucer, that is a good way to kill almost every plant. The saucer is to protect the floor but should not have any water in it. Use the chopstick method to determine when the plant needs to be watered again. Bonsai are trees and if the weather is suitable they all do better outside. When the weather is nice harden it off to the outdoors and it will be a lot happier.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Supplemental lighting is any fluorescent light/lamp that is placed directly over your tree and close to it. It can't be old style incandescent bulbs because they give off too much heat and if close enough to do any good will burn your plant up. It does not have to be any special "grow light."

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”