wesley990
Newly Registered

Ficus Ginseng Bonsai Care

Recently I bought a ginseng ficus. Its leaves are constantly dropping and its buds are stagnant. I also have to move it constantly because it gets most of its sunlight in the sun room but its really cold at night so I move it to a warmer spot. Any advice

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Ficus hates to be moved! They typically drop their leaves in response to any change in conditions. I think you have to find some compromise spot where it can just stay until it is time to bring it outdoors in the spring. How cold is the sunroom at night? If it stays above 60 deg F, the ficus can just stay there. Otherwise you may have to sacrifice the best lighting for somewhere that it is warm enough for it to stay. If you need to put it in a warm, but not well lit room, you could provide supplemental lighting for your bonsai.

Supplemental lighting is fluorescent lights hung just a few inches above your tree, on 16 hrs a day.

For one tree, this can be done with desk lamps, as long as the whole tree is lit from only a few inches away.
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Ginseng rooted ficus, sole virtue is its willingness to be propagated. You will never find one in a national collection. It is simply not very long lived.

Try a different cultivar of fig.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Another one and done, He visited us for seven or eight minutes, and has never returned.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”