Driver170

Top canopy gone yellow and brown

I live in the UK and we had very hot weather for a few days so decided to take my ficus out and leave it. Temp was about 26c! About 3 weeks later the leafs began to turn yellow and followed by crispy brown parts like leaf burn.

Its been over 7 weeks I recon and still loads of leaf on the top canopy are going the same way and now I've noticed some of the side parts too.

Can anyone help? Is this leaf burn or..
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You say 26C ! like it is a lot (79F). Right this minute we are having a slight break from the heat but by Tues (9/6) it will be back up to 35 C....

But in terms of your ficus, more than the temps, it matters whether it was in direct sun and for how many hours a day.

Ficus doesn't deal with changes especially in the amount of light. Any change like that readily leads them to drop their leaves. The good news about that is that they also readily grow them back. Ficus is not a full sun plant, it does best with indirect sun or morning only.

Driver170

Being in the UK temp never get that high, it was a one off. Think I didn't acclimatize my ficus correctly.

Would you say thats leaf burn? I'm really worried now as its loosing alot of its canopy

Driver170

Anyone?

applestar
Mod

If you put the ficus in direct sun after moving it out from no sun/artificial light without slowly adjusting from shade to sun, then it is most likely sunburned as well as sulking for being moved like rainbowgardener said.

Also, remember that baby trees typically grow in the understory of more mature trees.

Driver170

Yeh more than likely. However a few of my new baby leafs have turned yellow then brown? Its not been outdoors since the last time over 6 weeks ago.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”