Destiny652001
Newly Registered

Is my Fukien Tea gone?

My boyfriend and I have been growing Bonsaii trees for a couple of years and I haven't had any problems until now. I have 2 Fukien Teas, one is beautiful with all of its leaves, the other has dropped all of its leaves. They both are in the sane area of the house, both are watered and fertilized at the same times. I'm pretty sure though that I watered the bare one too much. Anyways my question is, is it a lost cause now that all of the leaves have fallen off? It seems to have fuzzy things on the ends of the branches but no leaves seem to be starting. It has been a little over a week since the leaves fell off. I'm also wondering if it was sick when I got it??

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi and welcome to the Forum! Pictures always help as well as telling us where you are located.

Can't make any guesses about whether it could have been already sick when you got it without knowing how long you have had it.

Try scraping your fingernail on the tree trunk. If it is moist and green under the bark, then at least you know your tree is still alive.

Destiny652001
Newly Registered

Ok. I have provided pictures. I live in Kansas. I'm not sure what other information you need??
Attachments
Little buds?
Little buds?
Whole tree
Whole tree

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow, it is sure not looking good! :( Did you try the scratch test? The "fuzzy things" on the branches would be buds for new leaves, but they should be green, if they were going to open up. There's a big area on the trunk where the bark got stripped off (was it in some kind of horrible accident?) and it's looking very dead and dry under that.

Still can't tell if it could have been sick when you got it, without knowing when you got it.

Another thing that you can check is to take it (gently) out of its pot and inspect the roots. If over watering was the problem and it went downhill that fast, it might well have root rot. So look at the roots. Brown/ black roots, mushy roots, rotten smelling roots got root rots. At that point your tree is trash. If the roots are white and firm and smell ok, then you still have a chance.

Destiny652001
Newly Registered

Well that's what I thought! My other Fukien tea is beautiful and I've had it for 5 years now. I'm just stumped what happened??? I guess I will just trash it and hope another shows up somewhere soon so I can "trick" my boyfriend! Lol! Ty so much for the help!

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”