karen2008
Newly Registered

I read everything that was said on this posting about bonsais and I'm not sure what to do from here. I live in Newfoundland, Canada and my bonsai is in major trouble. it's a juniper tree and I touch it and it breaks off. I took it out of it's pot it was in and seen that the soil was very very wet. and reading elsewhere that overwatering can kill it, I put it in a different pot with some drier soil plus the soil that it was in. will it come back??? I can't put it outside cause there's snow everywhere. I can put it on the diningroom table where the sun shines on it directly, but we have a woodstove in the same room as well. What can I do to save this tree, or will I have to eventually buy another one. and is there one that I can grow indoors???

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Karen,

In all honesty it does not sound good for your Juniper. Junipers are a poor choice for indoor culture, perhaps one of the worst. By the time a Juniper is in the state you describe it is more than likely dead, sorry.

There are species that will do better indoors with Ficus being probably the most frequently cited. Since you don't currently have a tree now would be a good time to begin some research, prior to your next purchase. Things that need to be addressed would be lighting, humidity and temperature to name a few.

The location you describe is too dim and too dry for almost all species and too hot for many species. Some of this is species Dependant though. The book by Lesniewicz "Bonsai in Your Home" ISBN# 0-8069-0781-9 is a good place to start. Also take a look at Jerry Meilsik's site, he grows exclusively indoors and does very well. He has made a commitment that many will not be able or willing to duplicate though.

[url]https://www.bonsaihunk.us/cultural.html[/url]

Norm

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I concur with Norm. If you buy another juniper, leave it outside in a sheltered spot.

Really, the best trees to grow in your area are ones that are native and they should be grown outside. Most trees will either slowly or very quickly die when grown indoors.

Millions of people in Northm America grow tropical trees as indoor trees and they do okay but, be sure to provide it with the proper wavelengths of light using a grow light. Misting is a must for any tree that is inside. And test the soil to tell if the tree needs water. The soil should be damp, not wet.

Overwatering either drowns the tree or promotes the growth of opportunistic fungi resulting in ailments like clubroot.

Give the above stickies a read and go to your local library and read every bonsai book you can find. You'll soon find trends that will guide your choosing of a tree and how to care for that tree.

Be sure to ask any questions you have, Norm and the other enthusiasts in this forum are VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE.

I also recommend using only organic soil ammendments as apposed to synthethic fertilizers, but other differ on that opinion. The choice is your, one note to make is that you can never burn your tree with organics.

karen2008
Newly Registered

thanks a lot guys for the info. I'll do more research on the next one I buy. Where I live is known as Zone 6, if that helps with the type of climate we have. We could have hot summers and very cold winters (hence the woodstove).

I"ll research more indoor trees, thanks.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Karen,

You're welcome, sorry we did not have better news. Is there any green foliage left on the Juniper at all or is it all grey/brown?

There is no need to confine yourself to indoor bonsai unless that is what you wish. I'm sure there are species that will do well for you, take a look around your area for some possibilities. It is true though that you will need to provide some sort of winter protection even for outdoor trees.

Here is one individuals take on starting bonsai:
[url]https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/bonsaibe.htm[/url]
And another:
[url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics%20LearningToWalk.htm[/url]

There is plenty more information available (both of those sites have more articles) if you are interested.

Norm

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

The helpful gardener himself (Scott Reil) has published a few useful articles on our site as well.)

But, like I say; check out your local public library. There should be shelves of books to peruse

karen2008
Newly Registered

There are still green on the tops, a couple of the lower branches are brown unfortunately, I was going to cut them off and see if that will help bring it back.

I have done a search for indoor bonsai trees and one came up, Norfolk island pine. though I'll more than likely call up a nursery and ask them for any help they can give me.

thanks for both ur help. I'll let u know how it's going.

Karen

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Any sort of conifer will not do well indoors. Even tropicals are best kept outdoors (in their own habitat) but, will fair better indoors than than a conifer.

Fig trees seem to do okay in North America when kept indoors. But, keep your tree away from the window.

And really, you will have much better results if you purchase a tree that you can keep outside and allow it to go through it's dormant period.

And you are most welcome,

good luck with your endeavours.

karen2008
Newly Registered

opabinia51 wrote:Any sort of conifer will not do well indoors. Even tropicals are best kept outdoors (in their own habitat) but, will fair better indoors than than a conifer.

Fig trees seem to do okay in North America when kept indoors. But, keep your tree away from the window.

And really, you will have much better results if you purchase a tree that you can keep outside and allow it to go through it's dormant period.

And you are most welcome,

good luck with your endeavours.
thanks for the heads up, I'll keep that in mind when buying another bonsai. I'll let u know what I end up getting.

thanks for all the info and help.

Karen

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Have Fun!

Danarah
Newly Registered

I am having the same problem with mine. It did not have the proper drainage and I've been drowning it. I also was unaware that it needed so much outside time.

(Yes, I know .. bad plant owner. Shame.)

I'll be transferring it to drier soil and a pot with a proper hole this weekend and clipping the rotting roots away in the process.

Karen, did yours make it?

To the experts, is there anything else I can do or should I just let it go?

Thanks for your help!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Danarah,

Keeping a Juniper in a pot without a drainage hole or inadaquate drainage is asking for trouble. Harry Harrison suggests potting Junipers with root rot in pure Sphagnum for a year to help revive the roots. I have never tried this so I can't offer any real advice on the technique. Note that this does not refer to the fine peat moss used in potting mixes but long fiber Sphagnum moss.
[url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Juniperus.html[/url]

Once Junipers show the type of symptoms described earlier a recovery is doubtful. I once tried to cure an ailing Juniper for a neighbor by re-potting it only to watch it slowly decline, yours may face the same fate. Ask yourself if it is worth the effort. If it was a young, inexpensive tree that is already near death perhaps it would be better to choose another tree after some research.

Norm

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”