a.marks
Newly Registered

Chinese Elm bonsai: has it dried out?

Hi,

I have had this particular bonsai for 3 years and after a week away, I have come back home to have noticed that it has dried out! It has been relatively cool recently as we are entering the winter months. Is it to late for my bonsai? Or is there still any hope that it will pull through.

I have been watering it every second or third day, and placed it in a makeshift greenhouse. Any advice or suggestions would be extremely helpful.
IMG_3099.JPG
IMG_3098.JPG
IMG_3096.JPG
IMG_3094.JPG
IMG_3091.JPG
IMG_3089.JPG
IMG_3086.JPG

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

a.marks,

It may recover, only time will tell. Be aware that a tree with no foliage will not transpire water. Never, especially now, water to a schedule. Monitor the soil moisture carefully and only water as needed. Three years inside, have you ever provided it a rest period? Now might be a good time to do so.

a.marks
Newly Registered

Thank you for the reply. What do you mean by a rest period?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

a.marks,

A cool period that mimics what would occur in nature.
Treatment of Subtropicals

Subtropicals such as Chinese elms, Ulmus parvifolia, have little if any dormancy requirements. In colder areas they drop their leaves, go dormant and act like deciduous trees. In milder, non freezing environments, they are evergreen and exhibit continuous growth except for occasional 'quiescence'. They require fairly high light levels and that will be the most difficult factor to maintain. A sunny window is usually insufficient and supplemental light, such as a fluorescent lamp six inches above the plant, is strongly recommended. Most subtropical plants that do not have strict dormancy requirements, still seem to perform better if they have a brief cold dormant period that allows them to lose their foliage. Both Chinese elm and Pomegranate, Punica granatum, fall into this category.
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/dormancy.htm

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

check my response to a similar chinese elm question here:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... lm#p375974

Winner
Newly Registered

This exact same thing just happened to me with my Chinese Elm. Except I live in the states and its middle of hot summer.

Went on vacation left in the care of a housesitter. 6 days later when I came back, all the leaves had gone from great ramifications and new growth, to browning and brittle. The soil tests dry now but I think it may have been over watered?? I don't know!! Overnight it when from kind of green brown leaves to TOTALLY brown and they all came off!!!! I'm freaking out!! I don't know how to save it! I'm a newbie and this is my first tree and I am so attached to it.

How do I save it??

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”