UTHQUARR
Newly Registered

What kind of tree is this and how to care for it?

I have recently acquired a bonsai and all I have says indoor bonsai so I do not know what this tree is I need to know so I can take care of it properly can anyone help?
Thank you in advance for any and all help.
Attachments
bonsai.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Very recognizable by those bulbous roots. Ginseng ficus. It is a good choice for indoor bonsai (all kinds of things are sold as indoor bonsai that shouldn't be). You can look that up for care instructions.

There's a lot of information here about bonsai:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/bonsai/

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=1479

Welcome to the Forum! Keep us posted how your little ficus is doing and if you have any questions.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Yup, rainbowgardener is right, it's a ginseng ficus bonsai. Looks healthy I think, but it might use a bigger pot...

UTHQUARR
Newly Registered

Awesome was looking it up and watching videos and what not thought it might be now that I know for sure I can get the right things to take care of it thank you both very much :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

AnnaIkona wrote:Yup, rainbowgardener is right, it's a ginseng ficus bonsai. Looks healthy I think, but it might use a bigger pot...

Depends on what you want. This is a bonsai and the point of the art of bonsai is to keep your tree in miniature form in a very small pot. That is actually quite a large pot for bonsai. If you want to let your tree get bigger, then by all means a bigger pot.

These would be typical bonsai pots:

but of course you just can't plop it into a pot like that, you have to gradually work on miniaturizing, with pruning and root pruning.

Incidentally, I forgot to say, those rocks on the surface need to come off. They are only there to keep the soil from falling out while it is being shipped, in the store etc. They interfere with air and water circulation and with you being able to tell when your bonsai needs watering.

UTHQUARR
Newly Registered

ive already cross plated it and rocks are gone I just got it from store and all the label said was bonsai so I looked some up then fuound this site and asked

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

All my bonsai plants are in huge plants. :) my daughters say that it is sad that such a big plant has such a small pot. Hehe :roll:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

cross plated?

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”