Klaus
Newly Registered

is it even posible to keep a juniper bonsai indoors?

I've really been romanticizing the idea of keeping an indoor juniper bonsai for the decoration. Every source I've found explicitly states that junipers should be kept outdoors, primarily for its needed dormancy period in winter. What I'm wondering is if there can be any compromise. Can I keep a juniper healthy indoors during spring, summer, and fall if there is the right lighting, watering, and humidity.( conditions you would have with any other indoor bonsai) But still let it go dormant outdoor in winter. I'm really curious and would appreciate any input.

imafan26
Mod

Junipers require a lot of light, usually more than most indoor bonsai's get. Here junipers do not really need winter dormancy, the temperature variance is rarely more than 30 degrees, but they have to be outdoors.

Artisans

NO! Junipers ARE NOT indoor trees. Even in a grow light they WILL NOT survive. If anybody tells you different they are lying to you PERIOD!

imafan26
Mod

If you want to keep an indoor bonsai, get a ficus. It will lose all its leaves when the light is drastically cut but once it acclimates it will grow back, as long as it is properly watered. Fukien ti, shefflera, and jade can also tolerate lower light levels. Junipers do not tolerate being indoors for very long.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”