aTovey
Newly Registered

Help - Indoor Chinese Elm Beginner Query

Hi there,

I have seen plenty of other posts on various websites however, I thought I should make a post of my own with a picture of the Chinese Elm that seems to be struggling.

My main concern is whether I am now under watering or overwatering the bonsai tree, the soil seems fairly moist and I have tried to water regularly (twice and week) by immersion. Is this where I have been going wrong?

I have attached a photo, any advice would be much appreciated. It doesn't look well....

Thanks,

Adam
Attachments

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Adam,
My main concern is whether I am now under watering or overwatering the bonsai tree, the soil seems fairly moist and I have tried to water regularly (twice and week) by immersion. Is this where I have been going wrong?
Yes. Never water to a schedule but according to need. Many factors determine when to water, soil type, plant type, environment, etc. Notice I said when, not how much. Always water well, even immersion can be used judiciously.

Your tree has little viable foliage, this means little water loss due to transpiration. This, in conjunction, with a heavy (water retentive) soil means that you are probably watering too frequently. This led to rotted roots that cannot take up water, which in-turn leads to more watering.

aTovey
Newly Registered

Ok thanks, do you think this bonsai has any chance of recovery?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Adam,
do you think this bonsai has any chance of recovery?
It's possible, but far from assured. You posted this in the indoor section, what is the lighting like? North window, South window, supplemental lighting? Your soil is part of the problem but re-potting now could be the end of it. :? Learn how to water using the chopstick method.

Do you have any options regarding growing outdoors? Indoors is tough for most trees. Our homes are too warm, too dry and too dim. Everything I own goes outdoors as soon as possible.

Artisans

Chinese elms are outside trees. They can be kept indoors if you know what you are doing but in reality they are OUTDOOR TREES! I grow TONS of them. They will get bigger leaves or leggy branches trying to get light and struggle indoors.
chinese elms.jpg

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”