bonsainewbie1
Newly Registered

Need help to save a jade bonsai

Hello! I should start this off with saying that I'm relatively inexperienced as a gardener, and I have a jade bonsai (although I know this is technically a succulent, not a bonsai) that's my first bonsai tree. The tree was an anniversary gift, and I really wanted to keep it healthy. My lack of green thumb has been making itself known though.

At the end of August, I posted on here because the jade wasn't doing very well; a lot of leaves were falling off. You lovely people helped, and it seemed that the problem was under-watering. I started watering it more frequently (about every 2-4 days), using a chopstick to check that the soil seemed dry before watering it again. I also bought a plant light for it because I wasn't sure it was getting enough natural light, and I use a seaweed fertilizer about once a month or so. The jade started doing much better, and there was tons of new growth. I was really excited.

About 2 weeks ago, the plant took a sudden turn for the worse. Some of the small branches started to shrivel and fall off. I thought the problem might be because the heating started to come on in our apartment, and the plant was close to the heater (which is also where the only windows in our apartment are). We moved it about a foot back away from the heater, but that hasn't helped. The issue has now spread significantly, and many of the larger branches also shriveled up at the base and started to fall off. One huge branch in particular, that branched off right at the base, felt soft all the way down at the bottom. Tonight, I cut off the branches that were obviously on their way out. From what I've read, it seems like this might be a substantial case of root rot. Maybe I wasn't checking with the chopstick well enough, and the soil wasn't drying out farther down? Sadly, most of the tree seems like it's been affected. In many of the branches I cut off, the centers were brown, wet, and squishy. There's already not much left of the tree, and I'm afraid I won't be able to save it. The change seemed to happen so quickly. However, I'm prepared to do a full soil change and cut away roots if necessary. I did try to feel down into the soil and roots tonight, and the roots didn't seem obviously rotten.

I thought before I repotted it, I would check just in case there could be something else going on. If you've had a similar situation and think there's any hope for the plant, I would love to hear that. I've also saved what I could from the branches we cut off just in case we can grow them as cuttings, although I haven't had much luck with that before.

I'm attaching some pictures (apologies for the terrible cell phone photography). The first couple are from just a couple of weeks ago when the plant seemed to be thriving, and the rest are from tonight. Thank you in advance for any help.
Attachments
20151203_001502.jpg
20151203_000237.jpg
20151202_235901.jpg
20151202_235440.jpg
20151202_235413.jpg
20151108_015924.jpg
20151107_235732.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sorry to hear your jade is still struggling. I looked back at the thread from Aug. I think I and all of us did you a disservice, because we didn't say anything about the soil it is in. I usually do mention that to people, but I guess there was enough other stuff going on.

Your jade looks like it is in heavy potting soil with a lot of peat moss. That would be why it might not have been getting enough water earlier, because peat when it dries out, becomes water repellent. Like a very dry sponge, it then takes a lot of soaking before it will absorb water again. But it is also why with your new regimen it is contributing to over watering, because once wet, peat holds on to water way too long.

It does sound like you may have root rot now. I don't think you can know that without taking it out of the pot. First get some real bonsai soil on hand. Trees in pots and any succulents want to be in very loose, free draining soil, which is mostly mineral. You can order bonsai soil on line. In a pinch cactus mix would be better than what you have. Then take the plant out of the pot and gently wash off all the old soil. Then you can inspect the roots. If they are black, mushy, and/or smell bad, they are rotten. If there are some that are still white and solid and healthy, you can cut off all the rotten ones. Then cut off all the shrivelled parts of the plant and cut it down to match the roots (I.e. if you cut off a third of the roots, then you need to cut off a third of the plant, so the smaller root system doesn't still have a big plant to support). Then repot in your new soil.

Preferably this would all be done in spring. But it doesn't sound like your jade will make it to spring, if you don't do this now.

I do expect that the heat coming on is part of the problem.

Here's some jade bonsai care instructions:
Watering:
Striking a balance between not enough water and too much water can be a bit tricky but is very important. The leaves of the Jade tree are unique in that they retain water. Only lightly water the Jade, allowing the soil to dry between watering. In the winter months, only water every 2-3 weeks. Water thoroughly and deeply when it needs water and let it catch its breath before watering again. An old bonsai watering trick is to place the entire pot in a sink of water an inch or two deep and let the water absorb from the holes in the bottom of the pot. Another favorite way to know if it needs watering is to lift it. You can get a sense for whether it needs watering by its weight.

An inexpensive moisture meter takes the guesswork out of watering. We sell them. Water slowly so it absorbs into the dirt, otherwise the water will run all over your table. Mist occasionally with a spray bottle too. It helps take the burden off of the roots especially when it’s very hot and dry out. We pot our bonsai trees specifically to drain well, so it’s almost impossible to over water.

Misting:
Leaves want humidity to keep them green and healthy. Any time your tree is inside, the air is very dry. Mist often during the day. Avoid putting your Bonsai near a draft or vent, which dries out the foliage. A humidity tray is a great way to increase humidity. These shallow trays filled with small stones have water in the bottom of the tray. Make sure the water does not reach the bottom of the Bonsai pot. As the water evaporates, it creates a moister environment.
https://www.bonsaioutlet.com/jade-bonsai-care/

bonsainewbie1
Newly Registered

Thank you for your advice. I have noticed when watering that it takes a while for the water to start absorbing into the soil. Maybe this was a sign that I didn't have the right kind. My boyfriend bought the tree from a place that specializes in bonsai trees, so I had trusted that they would send it with the right kind of soil. I'll get a bonsai soil mixture as soon as I can.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”