plasmalad
Newly Registered

Chinese Elm Bonsai Tree dying. Please Help!!!

I bought a Chinese Elm around 6 months ago. The leaves started falling off recently but I saw that new shoots were growing so I didn't mind. Now the shoots have dried up and turned brown. I scratched the trunk to check for life. It is green except for the very base of the trunk, which is brown. That part of the trunk has blacker surface compared to the other part of the trunk. What should I do ?
Pictures attatched
Thanks
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

tomc
Super Green Thumb

As a rule a tree can only survive one insult at a time. In a tree an "insult' is anything that changes how it is grown. I'm not picking on you plasmalad, I am trying to get you to exersize your powers of observation.

1. your tree was heavily chopped.
2, I expect its roots were equally reduced.
3, it is a deciduous tree living indoors with only a tiny fraction of its previous light.
4, It has been potted in soil made of mostly peat moss.
5, its swimmingly wet.

That makes five major insults. Most of which I expect were told to you to do as "care".
I would increase its light level by placing it within six inches of a florescent light bulb for 12 or more hours per day. I might replace soil with bonsai or cactus soil, I would get and use a chop stick daily to test soil for dampness (and its need for water). I might also poke several hundred holes through your peaty soil to help it drain as a stop-gap.

You will note next to my name my location. if your tree lived in USDA zone 6A it should probably be transitioned next spring to outdoors, to live there all year round.

Any one of the insults you tree has already gone through might be enough to kill it.

If this tree lives, or on your next tree, please be much more pro-active versus reactive. if you wait for the leaves to fall off you may be too late.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

what tom said!! I agree with it all. I will just elaborate on the "swimmingly wet." Your bonsai is in soil that is all wrong for it. (It may be the soil it came with, bonsai trees are frequently sold in very bad soil - guarantees repeat customers I guess :( ).

Real bonsai soil is very mineral, loose and free draining. What you have is peat moss and dirt. Holds a lot of water when wet, stays wet for awhile, but then dries out and gets water repellent. So your soil is too heavy, excludes air, holds too much water, too long. Here's a lot of information about bonsai soil with links to more:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=3422

I would summarize the soil info by saying that bonsai soil would be mostly pine bark and mineral grit (fired clay, granite grit, ground volcanic rock, etc), with maybe a little bit of humus.

You didn't say anything about how/ how much/ how often you have been watering it. Never water bonsai on a schedule. Water when they need water, which will vary with temperature, humidity, season, how fast the tree is growing, etc.

Here's some good information about bonsai care including watering and how to know when to water: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=1479

Yours has clearly been staying too wet. The black area at the base may mean it is starting to rot. You need to get it in real bonsai soil. When you take it out to repot, gently wash all the old soil off and check the roots. If they are black, mushy, and or smell bad, the roots rotted. At that point, you might as well pitch it and start over, after you have done enough reading to know a little bit more about what you are doing the next time. If the roots are firm and white and healthy, repot your little tree in good bonsai soil.

Best wishes! Keep us posted on what you find and how your tree fares....

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”