BennyJade
Newly Registered

Jade Bonsai Might be Dying

Hi everyone,

I'm very concerned about the state of my jade bonsai. I repotted it two months ago. As a result, more of the trees leaves and branches have fallen. Also, the tree fell off the pot at one point because it was too lean after repotting. As a solution, I have it tied upright to a post. It has been staying outdoors to receive full sunlight and I fertilized it with Dyna-Gro a couple of weeks after repotting.

As a way of saving the tree, I was thinking of cutting off all its small branches (maybe even the larger ones) so that the tree would be bare and more new growth can easily occur. What do you think of this idea? Is there a better way this tree can survive?

Below is the picture of the tree. Thank you in advance.
Attachments
IMAG0300.jpg

tomc
Super Green Thumb

if I may ask, what did you use as soil for your jade when you repotted it? And how do you test for its need for water?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Also, please describe how it it is located normally. Eastern window, southern window, supplemental lighting, etc.

It looks to me that it has been kept inside too long. I grow these and keep them outside as much as my climate allows. They look great now but by spring they really need to get back outdoors.

Edit:
I see that it is outside now but how long has that been so? Also where are you located, generally?

imafan26
Mod

Usually jade is not that hard to repot. It has a fibrous root system and does well in cactus or bonsai gravel mix. The media should be almost dry when water again. The fact that the plant was unstable when you planted it may be part of the problem. The roots will be unable to grow and grab well if the top keeps moving. If you water too much the roots will rot.
You can cut off some of the branches you don't need and root them in perlite to start new plants.

BennyJade
Newly Registered

tomc wrote:if I may ask, what did you use as soil for your jade when you repotted it? And how do you test for its need for water?
The soil was a mix of pine fines, turface and some akadama (made by someone who cares for bonsai). I mist it daily and if the soil is completely dry, I soak it in water for 5 minutes.
Gnome wrote:Also, please describe how it it is located normally. Eastern window, southern window, supplemental lighting, etc.?
I'm in the Chicago area. In the summer, it was outside receiving full sunlight (was brought inside when it rained). I've been keeping it indoors now, since the temperature has been dropping below 50s. It's located by a eastern window, getting direct sunlight in the morning.
imafan26 wrote: You can cut off some of the branches you don't need and root them in perlite to start new plants.
Yeah, this is a good suggestion. Then more of the plant's energy could be directed towards the branches still alive.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Well if it is in very quick draining soil as you describe, its light level is too low.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”