eljusticiero67
Newly Registered

Hawaiian Umbrella leaves turning yellow!

Hi there,

I have a hawaiian umbrella tree where the leaves are turning yellow. I got it about two weeks ago and this is the first time I'm taking care of anything but the most abuse-taking plants. however, since I got this plant, I have been watering every time the soil turns dry and I kept it right by my east facing windows for a lot of light during the beginning of the day. and decent indirect light till about 5pm

the only other thing of note is that I keep my windows open at all times. (being in the sf bay area) this means that the day time temps are about 60-70 degrees F. while night time temps are 50 degrees. however, my indoor temperature doesnt get nearly as cold as that. at most, the average indoor temp drops around 60 degrees with maybe moderate breezes by the window that bring it down to 55 or so...

any help would be greatly appreciated!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi and welcome to the Forum ! To start with , you posted this in Bonsai Forum . Is your schedule a bonsai (in a tiny pot) or just a potted houseplant ?

Yellowing like that is often a sign of over watering. Since you said you let it dry in between , it should not be that . You aren't by any chance letting it sit in the saucer of water after watering , are you ? (Just checking.)

Otherwise everything sounds fine . Open windows in your mild climate should not be a problem .

Posting a couple pictures of your plant would help us figure out what the problem is .

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

It certainly would not hurt to fertilize it with a balanced fertilizer.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Just saw this post again. I hadn't noticed that my smart-a** phone struck again. I wrote schefflera, which it "corrected" to schedule. Darn phone always thinks it knows better than I do!

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”