Ertolacci
Newly Registered

Hawaiian Umbrella Bonsai going downhill :(

I got a Hawaiian Umbrella Bonsai in April and it came full and healthy. In the last month and a half its been going downhill. It is not full and lush green anymore. It seems that watering it is the problem. Every time I water it more of the stems and leaves wither and die. the pot has good drainage. I have no clue what to do! HELP!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ertolacci,

Are you referring to Schefflera, arboricola? Since this is in the indoor section I assume that is how you are managing it. Is that correct? I have everything outside for the summer, this is where the plant does most of its growing. Inside, over winter, it sort of just hangs around and does not do much even with T5 fluorescents.

It sounds like you may have been watering it too frequently. Allow the soil to dry very well before you water again. When you do water do so thoroughly then wait until it dries down again.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yes, hawaiian umbrella tree would be schefflera arboricola. Looks something like this, right?

https://www.gifttree.com/images/super/70 ... Bonsai.jpg

Gnome is right--it will do much better if outdoors as much of the year as it can be. When night time lows get down to 45 degrees F, then bring it in for the winter. If indoors, it needs a good south facing window. If you bring it out now, you need to bring it out to a shady spot and then gradually increase the sun exposure.

You never want your schefflera to dry out completely, but you do want it to dry some between waterings. Always water it thoroughly so that water is running out the drain holes. Then don't water it again until the top part of the soil has dried a bit.

Have you been fertilizing it?

imafan26
Mod

It does sound like too much water and stress from being indoors. When was the last time it was repotted? The soil may be sour by now.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well OP said it was purchased in April, so they have only had it about four months. I guess whether or not it needs repotting depends on how bad the over-watering situation has been and what condition the tree was in when purchased.

You can slide it out of the pot to check on the roots, but be careful. Sometimes bonsais are wired in to the pot. If that is the case you would have to undo the wiring.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”