facelesswolf
Newly Registered

Can I grow a Jacaranda bonsai indoors?

Hi Everyone (new here),
I was gifted a Jacaranda bonsai kit and after reading the instructions (not a whole lot) I am unclear on wither or not I can grow them completely indoors, you see I live in a small apartment with no yard or window ledge space. I have grown fly traps indoors before but I know bonsai require more care and don't want to kill them, any tips or hints for a bonsai noob?
Please and Thank you!

imafan26
Mod

Probably not.

jacaranda is a large tree that grows in open spaces, so it is going to need a lot of light. It probably won't bloom for you in the dark and that's a shame since it is a beautiful tree when it is in full bloom.

Easier indoor plants that will tolerate low light are some of the dracenas, sanseveria, cast iron plant, spathiphyllum, zz plant, and possibly calathea/maranta. Pothos will probably grow too, but it is a vine.

facelesswolf
Newly Registered

imafan26 wrote:Probably not.

jacaranda is a large tree that grows in open spaces, so it is going to need a lot of light. It probably won't bloom for you in the dark and that's a shame since it is a beautiful tree when it is in full bloom.

Easier indoor plants that will tolerate low light are some of the dracenas, sanseveria, cast iron plant, spathiphyllum, zz plant, and possibly calathea/maranta. Pothos will probably grow too, but it is a vine.
Well it's not a fully size tree it'll be a bonsai which it only about 30-50cms tall
But I can see where you're coming from

imafan26
Mod

Most bonsai trees require a lot of light and are much better kept outdoors when the weather is good. Ficus can adjust to lower light conditions but still needs some good light or artificial lighting.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

imafan26 wrote:Probably not.

But none of those are suitable for bonsai cultivation. If the OP is intent on getting into indoor bonsai, there are scads of plants suitable for it.

Here's a site that I've purchased many lovely bonsai from. Always healthy plants & terrific customer service. That said, if you have no decent-light windows, & you still want to raise bonsai, you may have to invest in an indoor plant-light situation.

https://shop.brusselsbonsai.com/Results.cfm?category=14

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi Facelesswolf,

Warm welcome to the forum.

I do not claim to be a Bonsai expert. The suitability for growing indoors depends on the plant. Many bonsai are trees or shrubs that are generally grown out doors.

MANY years ago I lived in a 3rd floor apartment in NOLA. I had 2 azalea Bonsai. My apartment had a balcony. I kept one Bonsai inside and the other on my balcony. I switched them out every 2 weeks. They flourished and bloomed for several years then I moved and they suffered from neglect during the moving process and died.

If you want an indoor Bonsai try a Fichus. It will do well in a sunny window. If you do not have a sunny window you will need supplemental lighting.

What I have learned is that the key to successful Bonsai cultivation is to consider the natural habitat of the plant you are growing.

Good luck

Good luck

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”