BennyJade
Newly Registered

Jade - Leaves/branches falling off?

Hey everyone!

Just to give some background, I received my jade bonsai plant nearly 3 months ago. It was doing pretty well up until 3 weeks ago, when it started losing a lot of its leaves and some branches that started to dry up. The leaves that fell off were green and healthy-looking, leaving me to believe that I've been over-watering it. When I lifted up the tree from its pot, its roots were tightly compact in the soil. The roots at the bottom easily fell off when I tried pulling it.

1. Does this mean the plant is suffering from root rot? If so, what should I do to fix this issue?
2. Is there something else that could be causing the leaves and branches to fall off?
3. What type of soil do Jade bonsai's use?

Thanks!

Here's some pics:
Attachments
0629151129 (2).jpg
0629151130.jpg

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

While yes, you may very well have been overwatering, are you aware that Jade bonsai (as well as 99% of all indoor bonsai) require FULL sunlight. As in a south-facing window?

While I've never grown a Jade bonsai, I have grown regular Jade plants in the past, & just like other succulents & cacti, they NEED serious full-sun in order to survive. I'm thinking your plant is shutting down (aka dying) due to both overwatering and lack of proper sunlight. It can't survive on your coffee table.
Last edited by GardeningCook on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BennyJade
Newly Registered

Thanks for the response.

I just put in on the coffee table to take a picture of it. In the past, it hasn't been receiving a lot of sunlight because the only windows available were either a north-facing or east-facing window. I moved into an apartment last week, and just placed it in a south-facing window. I'm hoping it's not too late. Do you think a soil change and cutting out dead roots would fix anything?

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Are all of those roots truly "rotted"? As in all soft & falling apart? If so, the plant may be done for.

But if not, I'd gently tease the remaining roots apart, remove any that really look bad, & then repot in the same pot using a dedicated bonsai soil mix.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

BennyJade,

I've been growing these for some time now and they are an easy plant to manage, outside, where they reside about half the year. They must come inside as the weather cools and by the end of winter they always have declined somewhat, even with supplemental lighting.

I don't think the roots look too bad and since this species does OK with 'tight feet' re-potting may not be necessary right now. You can afford to take some time to research proper bonsai soil. Look here for tips:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=3422

Make sure to allow the soil to dry in between watering.

BTW, what is often called 'Baby Jade' is Portulacaria.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”