Sammmmy13
Newly Registered

Narrow Leaf Ficus Losing leaves/repotting??

I've had this bonsai for a about month. The leaves kept falling off, and I think the bark has turned white. I'm not sure if it was white before but it is now. I think the leaves falling off might be from learning how much to water it. Suggestions? I am trying the chopstick method and am going to buy a moisture measuring tool. Also I am wondering about repotting. It is in a rock and the soil seems to be filled with rocks (which I don't think is good?). The rock has bugs in it and I think the bugs have infested the roots underground/tree. It is the summer but I really want to repot it into a different/better pot with different soil. Suggestions? I also have another bonsai and it has soil mixed with rock. Should I repot that one into different soil also?
Attachments
1434330465546-1392656201.jpg

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Can you describe the "bugs" in more detail?

And what sort of light do you have this plant in? Too much water & too little light can bring on all sorts of problems.

imafan26
Mod

Bonsai soil is not potting soil and normally contains different grades of gravel. You are probably watering too much and that is why the bugs are coming around. In summer, if it is warm enough the trees should be hardened off to be outside, they will be a lot happier. Ficus will lose leaves when they come from a high light to low light and also when they are over watered. Outside, mounted on a rock. it will dry out faster. Learn how to check when the plant needs water. I don't think it needs repotting.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree about the soil. When I enlarge the picture and look at it, you soil looks 1) very peaty and 2) very compacted. Imafan is right that bonsai trees should not be in potting soil or any mix that is very organic, with lots of peat moss. I don't know whether you need to change pots, but you do need to change soil. Bonsai soil (which you can order on line if you don't have a local source) is very gritty and mineral. And it is very loose and free draining, with lots of channels for air and water to move through it.

Sammmmy13
Newly Registered

The bugs were small, fast and that's about all because they ran away. I took some of the original soil out because it was filled with rocks. I am asking if the soil should contain tiny rocks? I want to put the ficus outside but I live in lower Michigan and it has been raining a lot (more than usual) so I don't want to stick it outside and drown. Once it stops raining so much,I plan to stick outside but the weather isn't corporating.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, the soil should be mostly tiny rocks, grit, fine gravel, etc. I think your soil doesn't have enough mineral elements.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”