mcaquatic

Money tree

Hi I have tried several money trees with little success. How should I pot these? All the ones I have seen that look great have submerged roots.

My plan was to pot in a clay pot and then place in a larger water tight container and keep the water line at about half the clay pot.

Would this work?
Whats the best soil?

Thank you

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Are you by any chance really referring to "Lucky Bamboo"? Money tree is also sometimes called "Good Luck Tree" so there could be some confusion. Lucky bamboo (which is not actually a bamboo) is often grown in water.

I haven't grown money tree, but I couldn't find any reference to growing it in water. It is described as drought tolerant and instructions say (as with most bonsai) to let the top part of the soil dry out before you water again.

Anything drought tolerant usually does not tolerate standing water.

meshmouse

mcaquatic -

Is this what you are referring to as a 'money plant'? The seed pods resemble coins. The old folks call them that. They are very difficult to propagate and grow where they damn well please. Some years I get dozens, other years, just one or two. They tell me they are called 'flox'.

rbg - is this 'lucky bamboo'? Just curious.

meshmouse
Attachments
MoneyPlant-Flox.JPG

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

meshmouse ,

What you have shown is Lunaria, sometimes called Silver Dollar Plant.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

This is "lucky bamboo" which does look somewhat bamboo-ish, even though it is a dracaena, related to corn plant and others:

https://cdn.givingplants.com/media/catal ... hppnss.jpg

mcaquatic

HI thank you for the replies. I am referring to the plant that is often has the braided 3 stem or 5 stems and leaves look like marijuana. I a very avid aquarium hobbyist and when I go into some of the asian (hope this doesn't offend) owned LFS they have amazing money trees growing with half the roots submerged in water and the top half just out of the water or in soil.
I am not referring to the bamboo or other plant pictured

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

meshmouse

mcaquatic and GardeningCook - Why do they call it a 'money plant'?

Gnome - I will let the old folks know it is 'Silver Dollar Plant', not 'Money Plant'. But is it 'Flox'?

rbg - I would've lost that bet. Sure looks like bamboo to me. I see them all over as house plants.

meshmouse

mcaquatic

GardeningCook wrote:OP - You're talking about this:

https://www.guide-to-houseplants.com/mon ... plant.html

yup this is it

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

meshmouse wrote:mcaquatic and GardeningCook - Why do they call it a 'money plant'?

Gnome - I will let the old folks know it is 'Silver Dollar Plant', not 'Money Plant'. But is it 'Flox'?

rbg - I would've lost that bet. Sure looks like bamboo to me. I see them all over as house plants.

meshmouse
There are a number of stories/legends re: why "Money Plant" is called that. One - that plants with leaflets in groups of seven are lucky; another that an Asian peasant prayed to the gods for good fortune & when he was finished, found a special plant that he brought home & which brought him good luck; & yet another that simply claims the plant is simply excellent feng shui. There are more. Take your pick.

As for the Lunaria - aka Silver Dollar Plant and also Money plant - while the flowers do resemble Phlox, it's not a relative that I'm aware of.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”