Khan
Newly Registered

indoor bougainvillea bonsai

Hi, I am a new owner of a bougainvillea bonsai tree. I have only had the bonsai for a week now and although only a short time I just wanted to get some help with a basic bonsai tip.
So far my plant has been turning a couple of its leaves yellow, I have heard about a lack of nutrients and lack of watering or perhaps to much watering, my question is how do I know which problem it is. I have fertilised the tree well from what I thought, and I'm keeping the soil moist.
Also I received the plant in the mail so the yellow leaves could be a change of climate or stress from transport yes?
I live in Adelaide, South Australia at this time of year the temperature is usually around 18 degrees C and a low of 6 C at nights. I keep the bogainvillea inside next to a window which sees the morning and a large portion of the afternoon sun.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Khan Leighton

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Whoa! Slow down! Doing way too much too this little tree you just got in the mail.

Yes, getting mailed and then set up someplace totally new is large shock to your tree's system. You don't want to keep adding stresses and fertilizing, especially with chemical/ synthetic fertilizer is another shock.

If your climate is such that your bougainvillea can't survive the winter, then it may have to be indoors for the winter (and there in Australia, you are in fall going toward winter, right?). 6deg C (42 deg F) is already cold enough that it needs to be indoors. But when it comes round to spring your bougainvillea should be gradually hardened off and brought outdoors:

"Contrary to popular belief, bonsai bougainvillea are not suited for indoor culture, although many have been successful in maintaining beautiful bougainvillea indoors next to a sunny window. Remember first and foremost, a Bougainvillea Bonsai is still a bougainvillea! For optimum color and health, bougainvillea should be grown outdoors in full, direct sun. Water only when needed (at the first sign of wilt), and stay on a monthly trimming and fertilizing schedule." https://www.bgi-usa.com/fertilizers/boug ... ea-bonsai/ [bold added]

So put it in the sunniest window you have. If in the winter, that doesn't turn out to be a lot of hours of sun, consider giving it its own lamp. And do not keep the soil moist all the time. That is likely why it is yellowing. Here's some bonsai growing tips, including chopstick method of knowing when to water: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=1479

What is the soil like that your bougainvillea came with? Unfortunately bonsai are often sold with soil that is all wrong for them. If the medium it is planted in is like potting soil - soft, peat mossy - it is all wrong. You need real bonsai soil which is very fast draining, like grit and small gravel.

Remember the art of bonsai is all about patience! Slow down, give your new bonsai a chance to adapt, while you do a bunch of reading and learning about what you are doing, before you do anything else to it!!!

Khan
Newly Registered

Yes in fall (autumn) in Australia now heading to winter. I think based of what your saying I have 2 problems, 1st is that I have been watering it too frequently and 2nd the soil seems to be of a potting mix type rather then the bonsai grit you describe. But I'll definitely be holding of the watering.
I was considering changing out the soil to the correct bonsai soil but that would then further stress the plant out yes?
However if it is ultimately going to benefit my bonsai I will do it immediately?
I may have to get a lamp for the tree aswell, do you have any suggestions of the type to use?
Thank you very much for your help. I'm hopeful that this will at least help the plant become a bit healthier.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I hope someone more expert than I in bonsai will come along. You are right, that repotting is another stress on it and generally you wouldn't do that until spring. But if your tree continues to suffer, improving the situation might be worth the additional stress. I don't really know how to weigh that.

The point about the water and the chopstick method is not necessarily to water less (but probably), but to water WHEN NEEDED. That will not be on a schedule, because the tree will need more or less frequent watering depending on season, temperature, whether it's just been repotted and other variables. So you need to learn to attend to what it needs. Anytime you do water, you should water liberally, making sure all the soil is moistened. And then wait awhile until at least the top inch or so of soil isn't moist any more.

Any fluorescent bulb will be fine for it (NOT old style incandescent bulbs, which give off too much heat and will burn your plant up if they are close enough to do any good). But the bulb has to be shining directly on your bonsai from just a few inches away, on for 12 -16 hrs a day.

Best wishes and keep us posted how your bougainvillea is doing. They make beautiful bonsai!

imafan26
Mod

Bougainvillea have delicate roots for such a tough plant and you need to be careful with repotting. Damaging the roots will kill it so only trim the outer roots but try to keep the root ball intact. What kind of pot is it in? Is in in a grow out pot or a true bonsai container. The number of drain holes in the container and a sealed ceramic vs a porous container matter on how it is watered.

Bougainvillea is pretty forgiving about water, but you should water it well and wait until it is almost dry before watering again. Use the finger or chopstick method whichever one works best for you. The scale method works too. You water the plant and pot and weigh it, when you think it is dry, wait one more day and weigh it again. When it gets to that weight again or near it, you water again. After a while you can tell by lifting the plant, when it is time to water.

If you are going to keep it in the house, supplemental lighting will be necessary. It is a very high light plant.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Khan - Bougainvillea by nature thrive on neglect. They like hot, dry conditions with little or no fertilizer.

The first time I visited SOCAL I was blown away by the stunning Bougainvillea growing on the steep road banks. They are used for erosion control!

I have grown Bougainvillea in hanging baskets and in the ground - never indoors. With our rain I rarely have to water. The only thing I do is water once per month with Epsom Salt - 1 tbsp. per gallon of water.

No fertilizer.

DITTO RGB on additional lighting. Since you are going into winter water rarely. Only when it dries out completely. Even then do not saturate. They do need a period of winter dormancy.

In the spring gradually move it outside to a place of full sun.

My mind is boggled - Bougainvillea is really not a great choice for a Bonsai novice. Consider transplanting it to a hanging basket or large pot in the spring. Let it do it's thing. If you want a Bonsai look for something less touchy.

I lost my Bougainvillea plants a couple of years ago when we had some "freak" winter weather.

I apologize for not being able to give you better information.

Good luck

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”