DebsB
Newly Registered

Dried out Bonsai

Last fall I received this bonsai last fall as a wedding gift. I think it is a ficus bonsai, but the label did not say. I followed the care instructions on the label. Too bad I didn't search out information sooner. Turns out I should have removed the pebbles, created a pebble tray, and watered by immersion. I put it in a north facing window (I live in southwest Ontario) and watered when the soil was dry. All seemed to be well.

During renovations I moved the bonsai to a different north facing window and when I checked on it a some days later it was dry. Turns out there is a forced air heat vent below the bonsai's table.

The branches are brittle and easily broken. I scraped the trunk as another post suggested. It is dark brown under the bark. Is there anything I can do to save the bonsai?
Attachments
dry bonsai.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

nope, sorry, brown and dry under the bark to scratch test is a dead tree. :(

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Deb, time to start over. Central heating is like an atomic bomb to the little foot in a shallow pan of a bonsai.

Yoshi

I'm sorry you lost your bonsai :cry: . It looks to me that it was a Carmona. They are tricky to be held indoors because they like high humidity. A pebble tray isn't gonna do too much for that.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”