Flowers

I Think My Bonsai Needs a Makeover (how to repot?)

Hey guys! Some of you might recognize this little ficus from my introduction to the forum, where I was a panicked bonsai owner with a tree that dropped all of it's leaves. Well, the tree is growing some lovely new leaves now, but I'm starting to think my little bonsai needs a bit of a makeover now that I've had it for about a year with very little pruning/maintenance. I want to learn the art of bonsai, so if anyone has some links to a good comprehensive "beginner's course to bonsai", I would really appreciate it! I've read some posts on here regarding the following, but I still have a few questions.

First off, I believe it needs repotting because some of the leaves are browning on the ends and the roots are taking up the entire pot and beginning to wind around themselves (It's still in the plastic pot I brought it home from the nursery in last spring, oops). What size of pot should I transfer it to? Also, I've read some on here about soil mixes for bonsais, but I still am not sure what kind of soil would best fit this type of tree and my region. What soil recommendations do you guys have? And how should I go about trimming the roots?

As I thought about repotting it, I began to think about its style, and realized that I really don't like how it looks. Who decided it should just have one random branch sticking out to the side? :roll: Anyways, I began looking at some ficus photos to find a shape that I would like to give it, and realized that it's probably too late to try and get a cool bend in the trunk (please let me know if I'm mistaken!) So I found a lovely shape with a thick, straight trunk, and a fulll, rounded canopy with very small leaves in a very shallow, round pot. I'll post a photo below (I don't think the photo is a ficus, but I feel like I could get my tree into a similar style with some proper TLC and a lot of patience).

So I'm wondering what it would take to get my bonsai into that shape, if possible? Specifically, how could I trim up the roots so that it can go from this 3 inch deep pot to something more like 1 inch deep and several inches wide without causing it to go into shock or die? Or will I need to pot it up/plant outside for awhile to allow it to age and develop that nice thick trunk and branches?

Then my secondary questions are how could I coax the tree into producing smaller, more plentiful leaves closer to the center to produce the thick canopy? And how/when would you recommend I trim the canopy into the round shape?

Thanks so much, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Rootball
Rootball
Browning in the leaves
Browning in the leaves
What it looks like currently
What it looks like currently
What I want it to look like
What I want it to look like

AverageWalrus

First of all, yes, Repot it. I think the size of the pot will make it grow bigger, so you don't want to large of a pot

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Definitely needs a repot and better bonsai soil.

Take advantage of the wealth of all the information that is here already.

In this Bonsai Learning section, there's a thread with lots of good info about soil and root pruning, with tons of links to more info, stuff to read.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=3422

In this section also is a thread on recommended bonsai books

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=4139

In the non-forum section of helpfulgardener, there's a bonsai section with informative articles on lots of bonsai topics, including watering, soil, styling, etc.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/bonsai/

I don't know that it is too late to introduce movement in the trunk of your tree, once you know a little more.

The "ideal" tree you showed is a maple tree. Your ficus being a more delicate wispy sort of tree (all ficuses, not just yours), is never going to look just like that. Here's a more realistic image of an informal upright ficus bonsai:

Flowers

Do you think I could get it to look something like this?
Attachments
image.jpg

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”