splooch
Newly Registered

Ficus retusa bonsai - leaf miner leaf damage?

Hello, I recently bought a ficus retusa bonsai tree and every morning I mist it when I wake up ( its quite relaxing) but anyways I have been noticing little brown scars on a couple of leafs and I have been getting worried about it due to the fact that I only have had it for 2 weeks. Anyways I have a book about bonsai trees and it barely covers a section about insecticides. I will upload some pictures on the bottom of this article.

Second question is if it is the leaf miner leaf damage. What insecticide do I use? Thanks

Splooch.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

splooch wrote:Hello, I recently bought a ficus retusa bonsai tree and every morning I mist it when I wake up ( its quite relaxing) but anyways I have been noticing little brown scars on a couple of leafs and I have been getting worried about it due to the fact that I only have had it for 2 weeks. Anyways I have a book about bonsai trees and it barely covers a section about insecticides. I will upload some pictures on the bottom of this article.

Second question is if it is the leaf miner leaf damage. What insecticide do I use? Thanks

Splooch.
It needs a re-pot its starving.

Move to a 15 litre pot.

I have stem borer in my 15 year old ficus, I'm thinking ill have to cut it in my case.

applestar
Mod

...but you don't practice Bonsai techniques, right, 123?

It will be interesting to hear what the appropriate measures are for a Bonsai tree.... 8)

Yoshi

Thats a nice looking Ficus :), It looks healthy to me. I would not worry too much about the brown spots. Inspect it periodically for bugs....

Also you don't need to mist it every day, just do it sometimes to remove the dust from it's leaves.

Greetings

applestar
Mod

Just in case it IS leafminers, I would clip off the presumably tunneled leaves. Leaf miners are hidden and protected between the top and bottom leaf layers and most insecticides won't help unless you want to use a systemic, but light infestation is easy to manage just by destroying the leaves with larvae inside before they can mature into egg laying adults.

Removing the affected leaves also makes it to spot newly damaged leaves.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”