bayoudiggity
Newly Registered

Chinese Elm - Browning Leaf Tips

Hello all,

I purchased my indoor Chinese Elm bonsai tree around Christmas and it has been thriving until now. Lately I have noticed more and more leaves turning brown at the tips until it spreads throughout the whole leaf. It looks like tell tale signs of over watering, but I have been waiting until the soil is pretty dry before submerging the pot in the sink. The tree usually stays near my window, next to a radiator, but I mist the leaves often. The soil is a mix between the bonsai's original nursery soil and regular potting soil.

Would anyone recommend repotting the tree in its current state? Or perhaps pour-over watering instead of bathing? If anyone has suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

(bit of a yellow contrast on picture, leaves actually look more green)
Attachments
20150217_182150_resized.jpg
20150217_182103_resized.jpg

tomc
Super Green Thumb

The tides of an exterior window sill, and a radiator is too much for this tree. Use a chop stick to test for need of water needs and move to all artificial light.

No deciduous tree is really built to live indoors.

imafan26
Mod

Very few trees are built to live indoors.

Yoshi

Hello,

Sorry to hear about your bonsai. It would be best to get it away from the radiator. If that is not possible, put a large plate or flat piece of wood under the pot so the dried air does not go up the tree directly.

I would personally put it asap in a good bonsai soil. To make it easier on the tree, just don't try to get all of the dirt out of the roots. Transplant it while it is semi sandish, mayby it wont even notice. To make sure the water does not get stuck u can put a tiny layer of pebles or small stones at the bottom of the pot before adding soil.

I always water my trees with a bottle where I put my finger on so I can distribute the water evenly. When the soil is dried at the top u can water it. Don't give it too much now, it is easier to regulate smaller amounts more often. I was told that more plants die from over watering then from under watering.

Finally don't panic, it is likely that all the affected leafs are gonna fall of. Inspect the tree for new buds, if u feel it is not getting enough light buy a fluorescent bulb (1000 lumen minimum). U can give it a few hours of extra light in the evening. Put the bulb about 5-7cm from the top leaves.

I hope it gets well soon!

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”