froggy

Bougainvillea clip and grow?

Hello, I know it's been a while since I've lurked here, but I happened upon a question that I thought you guys might be able to answer....

A bit over a week ago, I decided to try my hand at planting a dish garden. I found a near dead bougainvillea on my window sill (nothing left to lose), cut back all the dead parts and 1/2 the root ball, and planted her in the dish (drainage holes, 1/2" layer of perlite, soil is 2 parts perlite one part seedling mix, wick watered from a reservoir at the bottom).
Then I put the whole thing on the shelf where I grow my african violets, (the top of the "tree" is about level with and 4" past the end of the fluorescents, so not straight below, the dish about 16" lower, light for about 10h a day). Crossing my fingers that she will come back to life.

now, not too long after, she is sprouting buds literally everywhere.
I am thinking I shouldn't let them all grow out, and deadhead any branches that grow too quickly.
once I have some new foliage, I was going to trim the older branches that are too straight/long/have long internodes - which I had left because they were the only foliage still available at the time of planting.

so the question here is basically, am I on the right track? is it possible to grow bougies via "clip and grow"? - has anyone tried it?
I am not looking to artfully shape this bougie (yet), just want to keep her compact and as happy as possible for the next few months, until I decide on whether I dare exhibit my "container garden" at the local show or not....

thanks for any opinions :-)

Karin

(photo below is right after "assembly", I'll post pics of the new growth later...)
Attachments
dish_garden.jpg

imafan26
Mod

bougainvillea will grow from cuttings, but I would wait until the plant is healthier first, it probably needs all the leaves for photosynthesis right now.

froggy

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, of course I know bougies grow from cuttings.
Maybe I misphrased my question...
what I meant to ask was "can you shape them by selective pruning, kind of like a jade plant?" In theory it should be possible, but some plants act weird when pruned too much...

froggy

Nvm. Finally found my answer in another topic...
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forurm/v ... 40&t=39500

I guess I have to be more (or maybe less) creative with search terms next time....

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

"She?"

"Considered a "perfect" flower in botanical terms, the flower contains both the male sexual structure, or stamen, and the female sexual structure, or pistil."

I'm overwintering our bougainvillea in the greenhouse for the first time this year. The plant is nearly bare, with a trickle of flowers and minimal foliage. Am hoping that it burst forth with heavy growth the spring. Think I'll follow your lead and repot into fresh, healthy soil in early spring. If yours continues to recover, it looks like it has the potential to make a very nice bonsai type of plant.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/structures ... 64985.html

imafan26
Mod

Bougainvilleas have been made into bonsai before. They tend to put out long stems so to keep them in check you need to pinch out the growth and encourage smaller leaves.

froggy

hendi_alex wrote:"She?"

"Considered a "perfect" flower in botanical terms, the flower contains both the male sexual structure, or stamen, and the female sexual structure, or pistil."
A name ending in ...ea would be considered female in most western languages I know...
I guess proper English would be "it" but then I don't get to treat "it" as a living, sentient creature... To me, it is only "it" if I killed it ;-).

applestar
Mod

Good luck! I've seen some gorgeous bougie bonsai photos. I might like to add that to my possible bonsai wannabe's 8)

Keep posting progress photos! I'd love to see how you end up styling her. :wink:

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Tweaked my interest when you used the 'she' reference. Curiosity solved just a quick Google click away. Funny how things are often given gender in a somewhat arbitrary way. Just musing, nothing critical intended.

froggy

Here the same tree about three weeks later. I decided to do away with some of the larger branches up top, but am still debating on which of the new growth to pinch off...

that long straight branch will come off when the new growth looks hardened enough.

If I were going for a bonsai look, I would have to air-layer above the first fork, because of the reverse tapering. maybe I'll do that next year.
for now, I'll let it grow and just clip what I feel doesn't fit...

ok, I just saw how shabby the photo is... I'll take a new one later today....
Attachments
DSCF0590-2.jpg
DSCF0590-2.jpg (44.05 KiB) Viewed 1594 times

imafan26
Mod

I would keep the high branch for a while to see if it develops. You need a high point.

Bonsai is about balance. There should be an apex to represent heaven and laterals at slightly different levels to represent man and earth. It should be in proportion. The level representing man should be proportional to the height.

You cannot really wire a mature branch, so when your branches develop then select and wire the ones you want to keep. Laterals are usually wired so that they are on slightly different levels and in a roughly pyramidal shape. You do not want too much definition between the levels or it looks unnatural. You need to see where the front of the bonsai will be. Trunks are important to be seen from the front, it gives the bonsai 'character' and gives the illusion of great age. If you want to give the bonsai motion, it needs to show signs of having to struggle to survive, that is why windswept bonsai have a lot of motion. The windswept trunks will be gnarly and lined, lightening strikes and growth bent to one side to show resistance to the wind and elements.

It helps to look at how a tree branches naturally and try to reproduce that. Bougainvillea in nature are massive vine-like shrubs so you need to use a different tree as a model.

Moss is often used to represent the 'lawn' on a bonsai. All of the other plantings must also be in scale.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”