Flowers

New to Bonsais- Why is My Ficus Dropping Its Leaves?

I know there have been a million posts already from new bonsai owners panicking over their bonsais dropping their leaves, but I have a few more questions about bonsai dormancy and how to best take care of my little tree.

So here's the back story, I bought this little ficus (named Kimchi) almost a year ago from a local garden center and brought it home. I put it in a nice, sunny window, I misted it for humidity, watered it when the soil dried out, and even made a slight attempt once at pruning it. It was very happy.

Unfortunately, I had to go to San Diego for about four months and leave my precious little ficus with my mother to take care of it. I left her with a very detailed instruction sheet, but when I got back a few days ago, I found it in a very sad condition. The soil was dry and the leaves were yellowing and beginning to drop. It was also not receiving any direct sunlight. I have brought it home with me and placed it in a bright, south facing window and have resumed an appropriate watering schedule, but the leaves continue to drop off.

Has the tree gone into dormancy because of lack of care? Also, I'm wondering if I should be purposely providing this type of tree with a dormancy, and if so, how? I don't quite understand how bonsai dormancy works, despite reading up on it. Should I be fertilizing right now to get it back on its feet or wait until it starts growing its leaves back? Also, on an unrelated note, does this tree need repotted? If so, when should I do that and what size pot should it go into?

Sorry for so many questions, I just love my little tree so much and want to provide it with the happiest home it can have.
Attachments
photo(3).JPG
photo(2).JPG
photo(1).JPG
photo.JPG

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Figs are tropical (tender) trees, if it has a dormancy it would be during its dry season. Immerse pot till you know water has penetrated soil. drain and return to bright sunlight.

Get it back to a regular tested watering program (use chopsticck).

Figs shed leaves when its routine gets changed.

Lets hope the induced drouth did not kill it.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with tom. Ficus is a tropical evergreen and if it is doing well it will not drop leaves and will not have a dormant season. However, they are very prone to dropping their leaves when moved, lighting is changed, conditions are not favorable. The good news about that is that since they readily drop their leaves, they also readily grow them back. So hopefully with good care, yours will come back. Welcome to the Forum!! Keep us posted.

Flowers

Thank you both for the advice! I'm begining to feel much better about the situation. As for an update, it continues to drop its leaves, but I'm giving it good water and light. I will let you know if the condition changes at all.

Should I be fertilizing it? Or should I start doing that when the leaves start to regrow?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Flowers wrote:Should I be fertilizing it? Or should I start doing that when the leaves start to regrow?
I would not start fertilizing it till it goes outside for summer, in May sometime for CO.

Flowers

Just as an update for you guys, my little bonsai has stopped dropping it's leaves for the most part and I've noticed about 8 tiny little green buds forming up a central branch, as well as several more throughout the rest of the tree. :D thanks again for the help. I'll post pics in a couple weeks hopefully when the tree is looking more like it's usual self again.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”