star888
Newly Registered

Need help to save my dying bonsai

Hello everyone,

I would really need help to save my bonsai..I purchased it 4 months ago in August. Since it was summer, it was placed outdoors although advertised as an indoor plant. It seemed healthy but really improved once I brought it home. I kept it in my room, watered it once a week and put it in sunlight. It immediately started growing new leaves and little flowers.

However, it suddently ''froze'' last month. All the flowers fell and leaves started turning yellow (and now brown) with no new growths. I noticed small insects at the stems and vaporized them with a mild insecticide for bonsais. Although they are gone, my bonsai has been only getting worst. I don't know if it's because of winter? It gets much less sunlight than it did back when I first got it but I do my best to provide it with as much light as I can during the day. I tried fertilizing it and not watering it as much but still, it is losing all its leaves. They are turning brown and falling off. I took out all the gravel so it could breath better too...Can anyone help?

Here are the before and after photos:
Attachments
after bonsai.JPG
Growing small flowers during the first 2 months
Growing small flowers during the first 2 months
before bonsai2.JPG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The top picture is what it looks like now or the middle? The main thing that is wrong in the middle picture is the color, but I'm thinking that might be just an artifact of the photo/ lighting.

The top picture is looking pretty sparse, like it has lost a lot of leaves. The top photo gets pretty blurry when enlarged, but it does look like some of the leaves have brown edges.

Your tree is a Fukien tea and you can look up care information for it. When it is indoors in winter it needs extra humidity to compensate for the dry air indoors in winter - a humidity tray and/ or regular misting. And unless you have a good south facing window, it probably needs supplemental lighting.

Was it having these problems before the insects and the spraying? Fukien teas are noted for being very sensitive to chemicals. I don't know what your "mild" insecticide was (Neem oil?) but you probably needed to rinse it off after the insects were gone.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

star888,

I would suggest removing the clump of glued on pebbles as well as the dried moss. Such Items only serve to impede your ability to water effectively. Then let us know what the soil is like.

Norm

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”