Frank-G
Newly Registered

Chinese Pepper loosing leaves

Hi Forum,

I'm a new member (from Glasgow, Scotland) and I was given a Chinese Pepper recently for my 45th birthday.
After a week or so the tree started to loose its leaves. This continues and its starting to look baron.
Is this a seasonal thing? is it deciduous or evergreen? or is this wee tree in trouble?

The tree is watered every other day with spring water, and I was given drip feed bonsai food to add over the month.
The tree is and will be indoor, and not in direct sunlight, but is not in a dull area. The soil it was given to me in is not granular and was very dry. I had to gently break it up a bit in order to get it to take water as initially water just ran off the pot, the pot is sat upon a smaller pot with small stones inbetween.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here was my response when you posted this before, just to keep all the responses collected in one place:

It always helps to post a picture of your tree if you can.

Chinese Pepper is called semi-evergreen, but it should keep most of its leaves all year.

We have a collection of articles on bonsai care here: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/bonsai/ with good information about soil and water, etc.

Dropping its leaves is most likely a symptom of over-watering and/or not enough light (and they go together - the less light and warmth the tree is getting, the less water it needs). Soil that is compacted as you describe is very bad. Proper bonsai soil is very loose, free draining, mineral, gritty. Heavy soil like yours holds water for a long time and makes it very difficult to water correctly. Bonsais should not be watered on a schedule, but as they need it, which will vary according to conditions. Soil should be starting to dry out a bit before you water again.

It wants bright indirect light. In winter indoors, this probably means supplemental lighting. The underneath tray you describe is a humidity tray. The idea is you put water in the humidity tray and that helps humidify the air immediately around the tree. But you want to be sure the tree pot is high enough that the water in the tray does not touch the bottom of the pot. Sitting in water would be very bad for it. Along with the humidity tray, it helps to mist your tree daily, since winter indoor environments are very dry.

Welcome to the Forum and best wishes with your new bonsai. Keep us updated with how it fares! :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

This is just a bump, to see if any of the more experienced bonsai people have anything to add.

in the meantime, any updates, Frank?

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”