ashdew
Newly Registered

lost the instructions to my bonsai kit :///

I bought a miniature indoor bonsai tree garden (japanese black pine tree) from urban outfitters. I misplaced the full instructions and theres like 4 steps on the box but they arent very detailed. so far I have kept the seeds in a tub of moist soil in a bag in the fridge for 8 weeks like it says. ive been keeping the tub on a windowsill, watering it when its dry for a few weeks. on the box it says the seedlings are ready to transplant when 1 to 2 inches high and leaves have opened. the next step says "after this moist chilling put tub on a saucer and place in a warm dark cupboard." I don't know what this means or what to do next????? can someone please help me out???
Attachments
1415843010852-2053485839.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Sounds like steps 2 and 3 are reversed.
If the seedlings have sprouted you are o.k.
If not, I don't know either.

I think you needed to cold stratify the seeds in the fridge to imitate winter
Then put it in the closet to germinate. Some seeds require darkness to germinate, while others require light.
After the seeds germinated then they were to be moved out to the light
And finally transplanted after the true leaves were open.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Welcome Ash.

Trees, in particular hardy temperate zone trees like pines live locked into their environment. Seed has inhibitors that preclude germination in all other seasons save spring. They need daily fluctuations of temperature and winter dormancy. (both greater and lesser cycles).

Now a few determined growers do paint outside those seasonal and outdoor lines, with some substantial tools to assist them.

Like? Like a heated green house, bottom heating matts, and often fans.

First you need to learn how to water soil a tree is going to live in. Use a chopstick to test your soil daily for moisture. Basically if the inserted stick comes out damp, its not time to water. If dry it is time to water. Do not let your tree sit in standing water. Let it drain out in the kitchen sink and return it to the window sill.

But, but, but. No buts, even though you don't have a tree growing yet, the stuff a tree needs, a seed needs too. I would not be a bit surprized that your seeds slumber till spring and germinate then.

Too wet soil and the seeds will just rot. Shortly after spring awakening your pine babies will need to go outside, to live the remainder of their life outdoors, with only breif visits indoors.

There is a learning forum that you want to be reading here...

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”