zackbarone
Newly Registered

Will Mold Cause my Bonsai to Die?

20141015_011642.jpg
hi, I'm a new bonsai owner

my little bonsai (named Lewis) has started growing some white stuff around the bottom near the soil
20141015_011653.jpg

it suddenly appeared yesterday and hasn't seem to spread since

iv read that this could be overwatering?

I got a bonsai because it didnt need to be watered often. I have added water maybe like once a week.

Whenever I remember to check and the pot feels light (the guy I bought it from just said to me that the pot should always feel heavy from water and if its light, to rewater)

I just pour some water all around the top until it drains from the bottom

please help

id like to keep lewis alive and healthy
Attachments
20141015_011709.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your little bonsai is a juniper tree.

I can't tell from the picture if it really is mold or not, but if it is, you are right it is a sign the soil is staying too moist. You said you water until the water runs out the drain holes, which is the right thing to do. But your bonsai pot is sitting in an outer container. Do you get rid of the water from the outer container? If not then, the soil is sitting in water and staying wet too long.

I can't see very much of your soil, but these little mass produced juniper cuttings are often sold in regular potting soil, which is very organic and moisture holding. What it needs is bonsai soil which is usually something like small gravel with a bit of fine pine bark, very inorganic, loose and free draining. Now is the wrong time for repotting, but in the spring you should be sure it is in good bonsai soil.

It wasn't bad what they told you about judging by when the pot is light, but I disagree with "it should always be heavy." In general bonsais should dry out a bit between waterings. Here is some bonsai information:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/bonsai/ one of the articles is about watering.

The other thing you need to know is that your juniper cannot live inside. Junipers die indoors. They are a temperate climate tree that needs winter dormancy. In the warm dry environment inside, they dry out (not from lack of water at the roots, but from the foliage drying out) and they exhaust themselves from growing all the time without dormancy. It might or might not die the first winter, but by the second with no dormancy it is pretty guaranteed to be totally used up.

You didn't say where you are, but yes it LIKES cold winters. It is hardy well down in the negative numbers.
If you get lots of snow, it would need some protection from snow pack, but it needs to stay cold.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I am most concerned with:

1. Holding the tree in a second tub suggests it is standing in water. This will drown your tree.

2. I see gravel on top of soil. If they are glued on, you need to remove that ASAP. That gravel is only a convienence for shipment.

3. Juniper are propagated from cutting. A tiny root system of a clone is inadequate to a building size heat-AC system. Your tree will be literally be mummified in place. (and may already be dead)

4. Juniper are temperate trees. They need seasonal weather and humidity (and dormancy) in order to live.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

What you've been told above is true,, I would think you're good. If your plant has been sitting in water, take it out of that condition and it should be OK.
Please let us know what you do and how it comes out. Thanks.

Richard

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

valley wrote:What you've been told above is true,, I would think you're good. If your plant has been sitting in water, take it out of that condition and it should be OK.
Please let us know what you do and how it comes out. Thanks.

Richard
AND TAKE IT OUTSIDE!!!

But unfortunately that is a somewhat optimistic viewpoint. Possibly true. But junipers tend to die in slow motion from the inside out, so they can be dying for a long time before you see any outward sign. Tom is right that it can look just fine, no different from when you got it and still be in pretty bad shape.

imafan26
Mod

It does look like some kind of fungus. But, junipers should be outdoors as much as possible, they don't do well indoors. They need a lot of light. Outdoors the soil will dry faster and there will be less fungal growth. Bonsai soil is more like fine gravel and bark, not like potting soil or dirt. Try to keep the plant outdoors for as long as possible and in a spot with as much air and light as possible.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

imafan, I agree lots of light, out doors as much as possible, and planted in a medium that doesn't stay wet.

Richard

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”