Jushliben
Newly Registered

Jack Pine Suggestions

Just got the Jack Pine starter kit. Well, I week ago. I planted them tonight. It is almost winter in Florida, and if any of you live here, the lowest it usually gets is 70 degrees. Do I really have to wait until spring ti put it out? Also, can I keep it indoors somehow? I would really rather to do so, but if I cant, that's fine. Tips and suggestions, thanks!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Jushliben,

While I have started Pines from seed I have no experience with your species, nor do I have any experience in a climate such as yours, but I will say that getting them outdoors will greatly increase your chances of success.

Furthermore, in general, starting only a few seeds is problematic. For numerous reasons many seedlings will fail over the years they will spend in development. I always start with as many as I can possibly manage in order increase my chances.

Norm

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Even in Florida, and even with a tender conifer (oh like Norfolk island pine), the most shelter I would ever expect to use is some kind of cloche or bucket covering on the very coldest of frosty nights in Florida.

Only in states with a real winter, will a cold house be needful to protect from snow-pack not cold persee. if you lived in MN or ME maybe some winter shelter. Jack pine is native to the southeast. it is on its home range.

A pine baby has a tiny foot, I will question if its baby-feet can pick up enough moisture to overcome the mega-BTU heating and air-conditioning of indoor residence.

There must have been a ton of these kits sold. This is the third separate set of similar questions on this page!

Jushliben
Newly Registered

ImageDespite all of the doubts from previous owners and myself, she sprouted! My Jack Pine is officially a centimeter in height :-() What should I do now? When do I move it out to a new pot? Also, when am I moving it to the vast outdoors? Thanks!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

It could live under an eve, in order to get some indirect sun and daily weather changes. if you felt a need to protect a tree on its home range.

As with any first time grower, use a wooden chop-stick to check for soil moisture. As in, insert stick, touch submerged tip. If its damp don't water today. If dry water liberally.

Disposable chop sticks are sold at any supermarket for a couple-bucks per dozen. If you stay with bonsai, you are going to wear them down to nubs (all the ones the cat doesn't hide under the couch)...

Jushliben
Newly Registered

So when do I move it out? It lost its seed and has three "branches"

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”