Senzo
Newly Registered

Juniper Bonsai Browning from inside out.

Hi, New to the forums and I just wanted to give a hardy shout out to all you successful and working to be successful Bonsai growers out there. I received this Juniper Bonsai plant on Fathers day 2014 and it has been sitting at my desk in the office under florescent lighting since then. I water it as needed, touching the soil for dryness, I also put some fertilizer pebbles at the base of the tree. I spay the tree with water daily to keep the leaves moist and also have a pebble base that helps as well as it retains any excess water. it has been browning for that last couple of weeks from the inside out and I have been removing the loose leaves casually just by brushing my finger past them to see what falls. Also, from one of the images I am posting you can see a root springing up from the soil which I'm not sure what that means. I am really putting in best effort on this plant but its probably not the best first Bonsai plant to start with. If you could look at the image and give me a prognoses that would be appreciated.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Juniper is a hearty temperate zone tree, that needs a winters rest. By category it is exclusively an outdoors tree.

Senzo
Newly Registered

I'm in the north east so winters can get cold here. Should I just put it outside near moderate sun light? The temps are currently in the 60's on average for now but by Nov 24 it will drop down to the 40's. By Jan/Feb it will be in the 10s.

What would be an easier indoor bonsai I could grow in my office?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Junipers are extremely cold hardy, down in to negative numbers. It should go outside now, in some protected but unheated space, where it won't get piles of snow dumped on it and the roots and little pot will be protected some from freeze thaw cycles.

Good indoor bonsai are tropical evergreens and other warm climate trees and shrubs that aren't used to having winter dormancy. This would include ficus, carmona, tamarind, kumquat, dwarf pomegranates, serissa, bird plum.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”