Charlottezelkova
Newly Registered

Zelkova Indoor Bonsai Dropping Leaves

Hi all and thank you for taking the time to click and have a read of my topic!

I have a Zelkova indoor bonsai. I have really took time to nurture and care for this little guy :(

2 days ago I noticed all the leaves have turned crispy and green and fall very easily. I just did the branch test (pushed down on a branch to see if it was dried out and dead) but it pinged back, didn't snap.

From the begging I have been watering as required and it has been doing well. It's coming into Autumn here in UK and I was wondering if it was going dormant instead of dying?

Any help would be seriously appreciated as I love the little guy

Thanks for reading :)

Charlotte

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You didn't say how long you have had your Zelkova. Is this your first autumn with it?

Zelkova are called semi-evergreen:

"Zelkova serrata/Japanese Elms are often sold as indoor bonsai and as such are acclimatised to indoor growing conditions, Japanese Elms sold as outdoor bonsai and all other species of Zelkova should be cultivated outdoors. Japanese Elms grown indoors (or in climates with very mild winters) will remain evergreen where as outdoor cultivation results in a deciduous tree. Ensure indoor trees do not become too cold in their first winter outside. Zelkovas should be able to cope with the adverse growing conditions indoors though they are never as vigorous as their outdoor counterparts.

Position

(Indoors) Well lit, cool position on a sunny windowsill during the winter. Keep up humidity levels. Place outside from May onwards after last frosts have finished. Try to keep outside until Autumn when the leaves can be allowed to fall naturally before bringing indoors.

(outdoors) Outdoor Zelkovas/acclimatised Zelkovas are hardy to frost though temperatures below -5°C can result in fine branches dying back and root damage so should be afforded some protection. Frost protection can include placement in darkened outhouses and garages as when out of leaf Zelkovas do not require light. "

https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Zelkova.html

So if your tree has been indoors all the time, it might have stayed evergreen, but in nature it would be dropping its leaves and going dormant at this time.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Charlotte,

Hello and welcome. I see from your post in the introduction forum that you are from the UK. I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that your "Zelkova" is actually a Chinese Elm. Can you post some pictures along with something to indicate scale?

I must say that I was surprised to see Harry Harringtons site indicate that Zelkova can be grown inside. That goes agianst everything that I thought I knew about that species. I have been treating mine as strictly deciduous trees, always allowing a full dormancy.

Norm

Charlottezelkova
Newly Registered

Can I just say thank you very much for your replies. I don't think I am able to upload a picture to this site? Would it be possible to take email addresses?

Yeah I was also told to leave it indoors at all times (to be honest I don't think the garden centres have any ideas about Bosnia's)

Yeah Chinese elm, it just says Zelkova on the little label :).

Thank you again for replies!!

Charl

Charlottezelkova
Newly Registered

Also sorry I didn't mention I am not sure on the age!

Charlotte

Charlottezelkova
Newly Registered

Sorry yes first autumn

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Charlotte,

Here is a photographic comparison of A Zelkova shoot and one from a Chinese Elm. The Zelkova is on the left

Norm
Attachments
zelelmzz6.jpg

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Charlotte,

In order to upload a photo make sure to choose the full editor by choosing Post reply rather than quick reply. Scroll down and look for the tab/button labeled upload photos. Then browse to the location of the photo and click add the file.

Norm

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”