Ananya
Newly Registered

Portulacaria dropping leaves.

Hello everyone, even I am facing the same problem of dropping leaves . Last month the tree was very healthy but since past 15 days the leaves of my bonsai are dropping. Daily I am losing more the 20 -30 leaves. please help me . I don't know what's the problem.from last November the tree is with me. Never it happened. I used to water once the soil become dry. It can be because of pests? I am attaching the photos before and after dropping of leaves.
Attachments
After
After
Before
Before

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ananya,

Since you posted in the indoor section I assume that you are indeed keeping it indoors. This is likely the biggest part of your problem. Watering too frequently may also be a contributing factor.

The soil appears to be very organic in nature which can hold a lot of water. Make sure that the soil is dry to the depths of the pot before watering again. This species retains water and is very forgiving of droughts. When in doubt wait another day.

Norm

Ananya
Newly Registered

Thanks for the first answer. The bonsai is still dropping its leaves. But new leaves are also growing. Here it's cloudy weather with no sun. I checked the soil and then watered on Thursday and today is the 6th day I have not watered. The soil is still wet. And I am not keeping the bonsai indoor. This is only for taking the photographs. Kindly suggest me what to do in this situation.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ananya,

If the soil is staying wet for that long it is too high in organic matter such as peat moss. Succulents do better in a very inorganic, free draining, soil. Short of re-potting it, continue to monitor the soil carefully for moisture. There is no magic bullet I can offer, slow and steady wins the race.

Norm

LilBit7765
Newly Registered

I had to put mine in a gritty mix. It's worked great! Let me know if you want the recipe! :)

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”