WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Tokoname Shinto pot identification and values?

Hi there! I haven't been on the forum in ages so I hope everyone is doing well. I have a few questions for those who are familiar with the vintage Tokoname Shinto pots. I purchased a set of 6, presumed from the listing that it is a full set, for hubby and it is listed as circa mid 1900's. Can anyone tell me from the photo's from the link I'll post here at the bottom if you know what year/s they were produced, if the set is complete, and the US dollar value? I'd appreciate it! I can't find any information on them except more listings for more of them internet wide. I'd love to be able to give hubby more information on them when I give them to him for Daddy Day here in June. TIA!

The link below is the listing I purchased for him as well.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Pots beyond their utility will have a value. But, if you don't already know their value before you buy them, it is a virtual certainty that your purchase was not a bargain.

If you (like me) were simply interested in seeing what there is, 'out there', in the marketplace. a site like https://japanesebonsaipots.net/ might offer up some pleasant window shopping.

If you were seeking an appraisal, I might ask around at a local bonsai show.

Bonsai_jen
Newly Registered

WinglessAngel wrote:Hi there! I haven't been on the forum in ages so I hope everyone is doing well. I have a few questions for those who are familiar with the vintage Tokoname Shinto pots. I purchased a set of 6, presumed from the listing that it is a full set, for hubby and it is listed as circa mid 1900's. Can anyone tell me from the photo's from the link I'll post here at the bottom if you know what year/s they were produced, if the set is complete, and the US dollar value? I'd appreciate it! I can't find any information on them except more listings for more of them internet wide. I'd love to be able to give hubby more information on them when I give them to him for Daddy Day here in June. TIA!
Hi Wingless Angel, How did you go with appraisals? I also purchased a set of shinto tokoname bonsai pots with a similar circa mid 1900's description. Be interested to find out some more information on these aswell?

imafan26
Mod

Pots of value would usually have a potter's mark or signature especially if it was painted by well known artisan and not mass produced. Japan has a rich history of pottery and styles. I think you would need to find someone who is an expert in pottery. More like a potter's guild. They might have someone who might at least know if the materials the pot is made of is authentic to the era.

Bonsai_jen
Newly Registered

Thanks Imafan26! :D

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”