Angelique1419

Hi all beginner with first bonsai

Hi all love the forum I love plants but I just got a bonsai and a lot if people telling me I can't keep it in doors

baileysup
Green Thumb

Hi there. I love plants too :D . If it's a ficus tree, I think you can keep it indoors, but most other trees need to be outside. Do you know what kind of tree it is?

Angelique1419

Yes a juniper green mound bonsai
Attachments
image.jpg

Angelique1419

Angelique1419 wrote:Yes a juniper green mound bonsai
I ordered a couple more I made sure they were in and out door I ordered some tools and a book I just love them ..I also have a beautiful garden roses tulips and veg what bout u

baileysup
Green Thumb

Yes, junipers should remain outdoors. I have two, and they are VERY cold hardy. I guess you could say succulents, and bonsai are my main focus with plants, but I have foliage as well. My buddy is giving me some annuals for outside soon to. Agave are probably my favorite right now, with aloes close behind. I love my trees very much too, so it's a toss up.

Angelique1419

baileysup wrote:Yes, junipers should remain outdoors. I have two, and they are VERY cold hardy. I guess you could say succulents, and bonsai are my main focus with plants, but I have foliage as well. My buddy is giving me some annuals for outside soon to. Agave are probably my favorite right now, with aloes close behind. I love my trees very much too, so it's a toss up.
Hi I have a question when they say pinch the tips idk and the training tools were would I start

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Angel,

Your little juniper is a year or more away from much in the way of pinching.

Part of top pruning any tree inna pot it to limit how much new growth gets to remain with the tree.

Only on alternating years with a deciduous tree would you pinch out a whole growth of spring leaves. With your juniper you will always have to leave some new growth on the tree. I use my first or second finger and thumb to do the pinching.

A stout pair of toe nail cutters could be substituted if you don't like getting dirty ;). Them and a chopstick or three is about enough of a tool kit for the first few years.

Chop stick: Stick it in the soil. Touch dirty end. If its still damp it aint time to water. if dry its time to water. Check daily.

Angelique1419

tomc wrote:Angel,

Your little juniper is a year or more away from much in the way of pinching.

Part of top pruning any tree inna pot it to limit how much new growth gets to remain with the tree.

Only on alternating years with a deciduous tree would you pinch out a whole growth of spring leaves. With your juniper you will always have to leave some new growth on the tree. I use my first or second finger and thumb to do the pinching.

A stout pair of toe nail cutters could be substituted if you don't like getting dirty ;). Them and a chopstick or three is about enough of a tool kit for the first few years.

Chop stick: Stick it in the soil. Touch dirty end. If its still damp it aint time to water. if dry its time to water. Check daily.
Ok so just leave it for now no pruning yet nothing

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Angel juniper sold in the USofA are most often propagated cuttings. There isn't much root untill it grows more. Grow a bigger foot, and the need to top prune will become transparent.

Angelique1419

tomc wrote:Angel juniper sold in the USofA are most often propagated cuttings. There isn't much root untill it grows more. Grow a bigger foot, and the need to top prune will become transparent.
Thank you so much

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”