Eleni
Newly Registered

Mold on Bonsai soil and trunk

Hi, I recently got a bonsai as a present. I'm not sure what type it is... Perhaps a Citrus aurantifolia, if you recognise it, please let me know.
I water it when the surface of the soils seems dry. I have missed this crucial moment twice. The first time it amlnost completely dried out and I submerged it in water for several hours. I realise now that I was not meant to leave it for so long but I panicked. It did revive it and after I dismissed the dried leaves, it started growing again. The second time I missed the crucial watering day, the leaves went a bit soft and sad. I submerged into water again but this time only for 10 miutes. Now there's mould on the soil and the bottom of the truck. Some leaves also have yellow spots, not that many. I am very worried about it, especially because I don't know the proper way to look after it. Any words of advice?

Thanks
Eleni
Attachments
B6.JPG
B5.JPG
B3.JPG
B2A.JPG
B2.JPG
B1.JPG

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Well first lets move it into direct sunlight that is does not perch your tree on a radiator. Every day you are going to stick a chopstick into the soil, and withdraw the chop. If, by touch it is not damp its time to top water and allow pot to drain. If soil is still damp, withhold adding water today.

Your going to check this every single day.

Your going to research what kind of tree you have. Your going to note either on your signature line or profile where (USDA zone & state) you live in order to get valid advice for your trees journey to outdoors.

If you lived near me in SE-OH your tree is going outdoors the second week in May till the second week in October.

UV rays will reduce mold. (that outdoors thing)

If I had just one tree I would use the spray on the kitchen sink and hold it up out of standing water. 30 seconds or so of spray should wet soil, till water comes out the bottom. Drain it out after on the drain board.

I might make a raid on the toe-nail clipper and a pair of tweezers from the bathroom for early tools. An old toothbrush wouldn't hurt either.

Rain or shine summer or winter I want to to pick up and look at your tree closely enough that he feels your breath on him. Look for (and remove) unwelcome buggy visitors. Brush lightly off mold and other housekeeping chores.

Eleni
Newly Registered

Thank you for your reply,
I live in London, which has been unusually sunny lately.
I keep the tree next to the window but away from direct sunlight and far away from the radiator. I put it outdoors for a day when it was warm and sunny, again away from direct sunlight and it didn't seem to like it... The leaves lost their firmness. I will try again, putting it in direct sunlight to see if that helps with the mould. I have also ordered pruning tools and bonsai food to prune the branches that don't seem lively anymore. I like your idea with the old toothbrush and will definitely try it out, but if you look closely at the trunk, it seems like it is being eaten away slightly, is there anything else I can do to bring it back to a healthy state?
I am still researching what type it is, if anyone can assist on that with good resources and links please let me know.
Best
Eleni

miyagi
Newly Registered

Hi Eleni. The species is unknown to me but here are some tips which I have learnt over time. Although most trees prefer to be outdoors, it would not be wise to move it into direct sunlight if it is not used to it as it would need to acclimatise. Otherwise you may find that the delicate leaves may be burnt by the sunrays. Moving trees around too much also causes distress which may result in wiring of leaves, slowed growth, etc. Secondly, it is best to apply something like "flowers of sulphur" ( that is what it is called in South Africa) to aid in the elimination of the mould. This will not be harmful to your tree if applied in moderation. Also remember that you should never feed a sickly tree as this may add to its deteriorated state. That being said, a mild feeding with a balanced feed (NPK) might be just what the (tree) doctor ordered. Good luck and keep us posted.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”