Demosouthpaw
Cool Member

Akadama and Time release fertilizer

Hey guys quick question,

I just bought my first round of Akadama clay. I have read people talking about fertilizing, I bought some Osmocoste time release "plant food" 19-6-12. Do I just sprinkle some of this stuff over my akadama? I running the soil just plain 100% aka, no pine bark or anything. And I have a bunch of seedlings that I just repotted in it. How should I go about fertilizing?

Thanks in advance!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Demosouthpaw,

I've never used Akadama , preferring domestic alternatives, so I can't comment directly. When I use slow release fertilizer I mix it into the blend at potting.

Whether you use organics (pine bark) or not, is up to you. You must take into account your species and your climate . What works in your climate will not work as well in mine.

If you mixed Osmocote into your seedling mix they should not need any attention for now, otherwise if your plants are actively growing you can begin to fertilize .

Norm

Demosouthpaw
Cool Member

Gnome wrote:Demosouthpaw,

I've never used Akadama , preferring domestic alternatives, so I can't comment directly. When I use slow release fertilizer I mix it into the blend at potting.

Whether you use organics (pine bark) or not, is up to you. You must take into account your species and your climate . What works in your climate will not work as well in mine.

If you mixed Osmocote into your seedling mix they should not need any attention for now, otherwise if your plants are actively growing you can begin to fertilize .

Norm

I'm in zone 10a, they are Brazilian rain trees, and Tamarinds. They began life in 50/50 potting soil vermiculite mix. Then recently I moved the strongest ones into individual 6oz training pots. 100%aka and I did not mix the time release fertilizer in the aka. I was worried it might burn the seedlings roots. Should I take the seedlings out again and repot with some akadama and time release mixed soil this time? Another alternative is just using a really weak fertilizer solution every watering. Like 50% strength of the recommended mix.

What do you think?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Demosouthpaw,

No, don't re-pot them now for the sake of adding the fertilizer, you can scratch a little into the top of your soil and be pretty much in the same place. I fertilize from above throughout the growing season. I prefer to mix according to directions but do not fertilize at every watering. Some prefer to fertilize as you propose (weak but more often) but it gets to be difficult with a lot of pots. Read the following entries at Walter Pall's blog. If you don't know about Walter, you should.

https://walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.com/ ... glish.html
https://walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.com/ ... again.html

Norm

Demosouthpaw
Cool Member

Gnome wrote:Demosouthpaw,

No, don't re-pot them now for the sake of adding the fertilizer, you can scratch a little into the top of your soil and be pretty much in the same place. I fertilize from above throughout the growing season. I prefer to mix according to directions but do not fertilize at every watering. Some prefer to fertilize as you propose (weak but more often) but it gets to be difficult with a lot of pots. Read the following entries at Walter Pall's blog. If you don't know about Walter, you should.

https://walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.com/ ... glish.html
https://walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.com/ ... again.html

Norm
Great article Gnome! Thank you very much, I searched and searched but couldn't find what I was looking for. Thank you for this!

baileysup
Green Thumb

Great article Gnome. Thanks

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Glad you guys found it interesting. Walter's pretty well known and has some wonderful trees in his care.

About the fertilizer, I have never been as aggressive. I shoot for one full strength dose a week during the growing season. Every year I vow that I will be more assiduous but somehow always seem to fall short. I hope to do better this year.

Be careful about being that aggressive especially indoors or if not watering freely, as described.

Norm

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”