han412

3-7 Year Old Trees - Can I Turn Them Into Bonsai?

I have a beautiful terrace garden which I have been maintaining since 7 yrs. Recently my apartment decided to lock up the terrace. Now to plants are quite big and cant keep them in my apartment. I thought why not bansai them. I wanted to know is it possible to bonsai them now? 3 of them are 4 yr old bougainvelias 3-4 feet tall and trunk diameter of 1-2 inches.
One more plant which can be eligible to be made into a bonsai is a 7 yr old neem tree 3-4 feet tall with a 1-2 inch dimeter trunk. Can anyone help me how to go about it?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Almost any deciduous tree could be trained into a shallow pot.

When you top prune, always leave a terminal set of leaves--buds on top branches. Branches tend to die back without them.

Knowing what kind of tree you have will go a long way to getting better advise.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It stated bougainvilleas and a neem tree, with dimensions given.

applestar
Mod

Only two possible candidates? What else do you have -- no chance for them at all?
I don't have them there are many gorgeous examples of bougainvillea bonsai on the 'net. They seem pretty hardy and able to take some rough handling.

han412

that would be 4 candidates as I have bougainvelea in 3 colours. Sad about the rest though I think I can bonsai the Yelloe oleander and the Trumpet flower rest are all small species.
I went on the terrace again to have a look at them and they all seem leggy for a bonsai. Can I use a stem cutting into a bonsai I.e. plant the stem cutting directly into the bonsai pot.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”