han412

3-7 Year Old Trees - Can I Turn Them Into Bonsai?

I have a beautiful terrace garden which I have been maintaining since 7 yrs. Recently my apartment decided to lock up the terrace. Now to plants are quite big and cant keep them in my apartment. I thought why not bansai them. I wanted to know is it possible to bonsai them now? 3 of them are 4 yr old bougainvelias 3-4 feet tall and trunk diameter of 1-2 inches.
One more plant which can be eligible to be made into a bonsai is a 7 yr old neem tree 3-4 feet tall with a 1-2 inch dimeter trunk. Can anyone help me how to go about it?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Re: 3-7 Year Old Trees - Can I Turn Them Into Bonsai?

Almost any deciduous tree could be trained into a shallow pot.

When you top prune, always leave a terminal set of leaves--buds on top branches. Branches tend to die back without them.

Knowing what kind of tree you have will go a long way to getting better advise.
Think like a tree
© 2016 Invisable Inc.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It stated bougainvilleas and a neem tree, with dimensions given.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

applestar
Mod

Only two possible candidates? What else do you have -- no chance for them at all?
I don't have them there are many gorgeous examples of bougainvillea bonsai on the 'net. They seem pretty hardy and able to take some rough handling.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

han412

that would be 4 candidates as I have bougainvelea in 3 colours. Sad about the rest though I think I can bonsai the Yelloe oleander and the Trumpet flower rest are all small species.
I went on the terrace again to have a look at them and they all seem leggy for a bonsai. Can I use a stem cutting into a bonsai i.e. plant the stem cutting directly into the bonsai pot.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”