KTSTP

Money tree flies!

I was given a money tree bonsai about a month ago and was told to keep it humid. The pot is sitting on a tray full of rocks and water (the plant itself is not sitting in water and fully drains with each watering). I have it in a bay window facing south and water every 4-5 days in southern CA. It seems to be growing nicely with a lot of new leaves, but for the last few days I've noticed tiny black flies around the tree. Any thoughts on what they could be? Am I keeping the plant too humid? Watering too often?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The flies tend to stay on the soil surface and then fly up when disturbed, but settle back down pretty quickly?

If so they are fungus gnats. The adults that you see feed on fungus in the soil and are harmless to your plants. However, they lay eggs in the soil, which hatch in to larvae which can eat the roots of your plants, so you don't want them around.

They are a sign that the soil is staying very moist. If you just let it dry out more between waterings, that should control the gnats. HOWEVER, if you are only watering every 4-5 days in SoCal and the soil is staying moist, your soil is way too moisture holding, probably some kind of peat based potting mix. You should repot into bonsai soil, which is very gritty and inorganic.

Here's one thread about what bonsai soil is like: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=15040

If you type bonsai soil in to the Google custom search box above (which only searches THG) you will find lots more info.

KTSTP

I'm not sure if they're on the soil. With the slightest movement they do fly up and settle down quickly but it looks like they are hiding in the leaves. I could be wrong, but anyway I took your advice regarding the moisture.

I should mention that when I first got the plant I was checking the soil to see if it was dry and was actually watering every 2-3 days. I got in the habit of watering that often without checking the soil, and when we had a lot of thunderstorms I just waited a few extra days between watering and since then have been watering every 4-5 days. Now that you mention the fungus I realize I should have continued checking the soil for moisture...rookie mistake :cry: .

I haven't had a chance to change the soil but I removed the tray of water to hopefully help the soil dry out sooner. Although it hasn't even been a full day, I don't see any flies. Sounds too good to be true lol but I'll post an update later on.

Thanks for the help!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

When you say tray of water, do you mean a humidity tray, that the pot sits OVER (elevated on pebbles or something, so that the bottom of the pot is not touching the water) or do you mean your pot was sitting IN a tray of water (drainage tray). If it was IN the water (the water touching the bottom of the pot), that was the problem. It's lucky you didn't kill your tree already. NEVER leave it sitting in water. The drainage tray is to catch the excess water, so it doesn't make a mess. Once the tree is finished draining, empty the tray.

If it really was just a humidity tray, you are still probably better off without it, since you are having moisture issues. Once you get it all sorted out, you could put a humidity tray back.

Was I right that the soil is ordinary (peat-based) potting soil, like a house plant would be in?

If so, you really do want to change that.

KTSTP

It was a humidity tray. The pot itself was elevated 1.5" off the water by rocks and small feet on the pot.

Here's a picture of the soil from the top, there's a good layer of that rock mixture and the water does seem to drain straight through, but to be honest I think it gets more like ordinary soil towards the bottom of the pot. I haven't dug that deep, but looking up from the drainage holes it seems that way.

I notced the flies again this morning. I also noticed a tiny bit of root coming out from one of the drainage holes of the pot. I'm afraid to do any more damage to the plant, but I'm assuming I need to repot it? It came in a ceramic pot...what type would you suggest?

KTSTP

So I stopped watering completely and have not seen any signs of flies. I ended up repotting and changing the soil. It seems to be doing great and even looks livelier. The odd thing is that the soil has been completely dry for over a week, which contradicts the care instructions that I have researched and been told by gardeners regarding watering and humidity. Anyway, it looks great. Thanks for the help!

jolo
Newly Registered

I water my money tree every 10 or 15 days, no problem. Money tree stores water in its trunk.

I killed 3 money trees earlier by watering every day, then 2 or 3 days, and I use really well-drained soil. Their trunks became soft and soggy.

This latest one loves the 10 or 15 days watering regimen. It's a big trunk one, about 10-inch diameter. Maybe for thinner trunk trees, every 5 or 7 days should be fine.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”