Demosouthpaw
Cool Member

Propagating Black Pine seeds.

Hey guys I need some advice,

My mom bought me a black pine "bonsai" starter kit she saw on amazon. The kit itself is pretty cool it brings some seeds, soil, a pot, and instructions on germinating the seeds. In the past I have tried to germinate pines and not had such great luck and even worse once they shed their shell. Anyway per the instructions no cold strat was required nor scarification, so I figured "what the hell" I planted them in the soil and pot provided this was three weeks ago, yesterday morning I finished building my new Seed germination room and as I was moving all my seeds I noticed that one of the pines had sprouted.
WP_20140307_004.jpg
WP_20140307_004.jpg (35.51 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
I took this picture yesterday to document its growth. Now today I went to check up on it and it doesn't look as "green" as yesterday. For those of you that have gave me advice in the past you know I am color blind so I was wondering if its normal or maybe just my eyes.
This one was taken about 10min ago.  Does it look okay?
This one was taken about 10min ago. Does it look okay?
WP_20140308_006.jpg (37.08 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
One thing to add the seed closet doesnt get much fresh air with the door shut the temps hover at about 80-86 degrees with an avg humidity of 50-55%. The old seed fixture had fresh air constantly being circulated could stagnant air be the problem?

Opening the closet door slightly greatly reduces temps and humidity. With the door slightly opened temps are 75-82degrees F and humidity is 38-50% depending on the day.
WP_20140307_011.jpg
WP_20140307_011.jpg (19.99 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
^ heres a pic of the closet.

If there is a problem with this little guy I would like to save him. Today I will leave the closet cracked opened to see if it helps some.

Thanks in advance for any comments and help!

(edit)

My watering techniques have been submersion to about 1/4 of the pot for about 20 minutes when needed.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Re: Propagating Black Pine seeds.

I'm pretty limited starting pine. Mostly I've started spruce from seed.

Neither of which, pine or spruce would I start indoors.

It--they're not indoor trees.
Think like a tree
© 2016 Invisable Inc.

Demosouthpaw
Cool Member

Re: Propagating Black Pine seeds.

WP_20140308_008.JPG
Here is a better pic of the little guy

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”