Demosouthpaw
Cool Member

Trident Maple seedling dormancy?

Good evening guys, quick question;

I'm going to be planting some Trident Maple seeds. Once they germinate and begin to grow would they need to be subjected to "dormancy" just like their older counter parts?

Peaceful0ne

I'm no expert, but after sneaking around the forums for about a week, from what I've read yes, regardless of whether it's a bonsai or a normal tree on the side of a road, it's still a tree and needs to go through it's seasonal cycles.

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'm WRONG!

Thanks,
Peaceful

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, yes, but not this year. If they are not even planted now, if they germinate at all, it will be spring by then. This coming fall they should stay out and go through dormancy.

But I would get them in soil in pots and outside ASAP! The seeds need to go through extended cold period in order to germinate. If you wait and the weather warms up, they will probably never germinate. If you don't have a lot of cold weather left, you will do better to pot them up in moist potting soil, wrap the whole thing in plastic and stick it in the frig for 3 months.

The trident maple is really a temperate tree and is never going to do well in your climate. You will always be struggling to provide enough cold dormancy for it.

Here's some info about them from the U. of FL: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/st009

It says they are hardy from zone 4 to zone 9. However, you are in the warmest part of zone 10.

You will have better results working with a tree that is more adapted to your climate. If you are partial to maples, FL does have a couple of native maples: Florida maple (aka southern sugar maple, acer barbatum) and chalk maple (acer leucoderme).

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”