Demosouthpaw
Cool Member

Did I just do the impossible?

So last month, I saw some really nice looking plants at wallmart. I decided to go ahead and buy them thinking they were a juniper of some sort. After some research and replies, they turned out to be Chinese Junipers. Since I purchased these plants back in Jan 28 of this year, they have not seen one minute of sunlight. They have been kept under my grow light bench that I put together. At first I was sacred thinking they would die, because after all everyone told me they would not do well indoors.

Well I kept them under close watch and made sure not to over water, and to let them dry out for one day in between watering. The end result is this;
juniper(1).jpg
juniper(1).jpg (24.59 KiB) Viewed 1473 times
juniper(2).jpg
juniper(2).jpg (23 KiB) Viewed 1473 times
I have no experience with Junipers and I am also color blind, but from what I can tell this plant has new shoots coming out of it =) I was relieved to see that the plant is actually thriving in man-made conditions.

If anyone has an expertise on these guys, when should I begin bonsai training? I believe the trunk is still to thin to begin any kind of training but then again I have not had much experience with bonsai other than some ficus I pruned to death.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Juniper will live under its normal conditions, indoors. That said fewer than 1 in 100 growers actually provide what a juniper needs indoors in the greenhouse. Bring back your juniper on year three or four of continuous growth indoors and you will have something to claim.

I only know of one fellow who did that. If he's still alive you can get with him on how he did it.
https://www.annarborbonsaisociety.org/do ... ithPic.pdf

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

In general junipers do not do well and eventually die if kept indoors without any dormant period. But that doesn't mean they die immediately. Most will make it through the first winter and maybe the next growing season after that. By the second winter with no dormancy, they have probably exhausted themselves.

Demosouthpaw
Cool Member

rainbowgardener wrote:In general junipers do not do well and eventually die if kept indoors without any dormant period. But that doesn't mean they die immediately. Most will make it through the first winter and maybe the next growing season after that. By the second winter with no dormancy, they have probably exhausted themselves.

I see I might have gotten ahead of myself now. Indoors, under my grow lights and environment I've provided for them we WILL grow. However and that's a big however, after reading about Junipers "dormant" period I fear now that you are right and they will die eventually :/. Here in South Florida it won't get cold enough for them to experience a dormant period such as required. Can I put them in a plastic bag and stick them in the refrigerator?

About 20miles north of me there is a Japanese garden and they have a bonsai display. Now that I understand more about bonsai's I wonder how they provide dormant periods for the plants that need them.

If anyone can give me any ideas on how to provide a dormant period for these guys that would be greatly greatly appreciated.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Demosouthpaw wrote:
rainbowgardener wrote: Here in South Florida it won't get cold enough for them to experience a dormant period such as required. Can I put them in a plastic bag and stick them in the refrigerator?

About 20miles north of me there is a Japanese garden and they have a bonsai display. Now that I understand more about bonsai's I wonder how they provide dormant periods for the plants that need them.

If anyone can give me any ideas on how to provide a dormant period for these guys that would be greatly greatly appreciated.
1 You mighty ask at that Japanese garden on what they do.

2 I still expect your light levels will change enough of and by themselves to provide a dormancy period.

3 Of equal to you importance will be I expect some afternoon shade in warmer months, OR, very frequent checks for needing water in the summer.

Demosouthpaw
Cool Member

I went by the Jap garden after work yesterday. This is the answer I got from a very friendly old man who worked there. Evergreens require a dormant period of ~1100 hours which comes out roughly to 6-7 weeks depending on your tree. The younger the evergreen the long it can go without dormant periods but no evergreen should go a year w/out this dormancy period. To simulate dormancy in South Florida a special refrigeration unit is used that unlike traditional fridges does get iced up (I have no idea why that would matter). And also has a built in grow light that is set for x amount of hours daily. After the 1100 hour period the plant is put through a condition stage where it is gradually introduced to regular south Florida temps. And that is how an evergreen is tricked into dormancy.

I will attempt this with my Junipers sometime this week. I'll male a new thread and update is regularly to keep you guys posted. The biggest hurdle will be to figure out how to get light in my refrigerator.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Most refrigerators have a light that comes on when door is open and turns off when door is closed. You just have to disable the turn off mechanism.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

I was about to suggest a fridge, a compact florescent bulb. We have Junipers, not the upright variety, at the Nevada ranch that never had additional water until I arranged it and have done very well.

Richard

affgar

Are the lights on a timer to replicate seasonal light changes/requirements?

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”